1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

PRS membership???

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by quidrophenia, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You could do that but there is no fee now so it's pointless and could lead to major arguments and problems.

It's income and counted just the same as any other income. If you're earning any money through PRS or other music work, you should declare it as taxable income. Though if it's £20 a year the taxman won't really be bothered. If it's something substantial you need to declare it or risk the wrath of the Inland Revenue.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Self-Titled

Self-Titled New Member

Cool, thanks for the reply.

4. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I joined PRS about 2 months ago, but I haven't heard anything back. does it take a while or should I email them?

5. bongobenny

I just got my account running on this. Do I just chuck everything that I play on there? Plus how far back do I go when reporting my live performances? 6 months or further? I'm a bit lost with it all. Seems like loads to put in.

6. jmyers607

jmyers607 New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Coheed, SB6

Wouldn't you need some sort of proof of the gig existing? Otherwise you could claim to have played everyday in August last year...

7. bongobenny

You used to have to sign a sheet or something, but now it's all done via email so I don't really get it. It's easy anyway. If I've played somewhere and they ask for proof, I could just get it verified by the venue. ha, anyway, I probably did play every day in August last year.

8. Zegrae

Zegrae New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Who
    PRS for Music is now free to join (well technically £10, but they will deduct that from your first payment). This is a major reduction from the original £100 one off fee, and is designed to attract new and younger music makers and songwriters.

You can also now register an arranger's share of royalties on a song, which suits situations where you maybe want to cut in a producer on the song split, useful in situations where there is little or no budget to pay a producer to get involved, or you can use the arranger share to give a fair split to other band members who didn't quite write the song, but somehow gave it the right vibe on the recording.

9. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    whats the irish prs? anyone know.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They'll only pay you the last three years now, if your claiming unpaid monies.

11. bongobenny

Does anyone actually understand how they work out how you get paid for this, because mine is just completely random. It's never anything like the figure I think it's going to be. It's like a lottery. I'm sure sometimes I submit about 60 gigs and get hardly anything, the next time around I put in 20 and get twice as much ha.

12. cavie

cavie Member

I still have no clue how PRS works, despite being a member for years :(

13. Brader

Brader New Member

likewise cavie - you are not alone.