1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

PRS membership???

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by quidrophenia, Dec 18, 2007.

1. quidrophenia

quidrophenia New Member

Where do I apply

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

I git a cheque from PRS this morning: £2.37.

The drinks are on me!!!!! :lol:

6. I thought the distribution was coming in January, so it was a very pleasant surprise.

Even if you've only ever been played once on (a station that pays on) the radio, it's worth joining.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trufax. I made back the joining fee in my very first payment.

8. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

I must be going wrong somewhere. I havent made mine back in four years.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Radio 1 pay well. One play of a song I only own 75% of the publishing for (a co-write) paid for most of it. Jukeboxes and lesser radio covered the rest.

10. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

Thats really good going. I hadn't considered the fact that I co-own publishing / songwriting with four other people. Which obviously will reduce my individual royalties.

11. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

people have been asking me to join for years, but it's one of those things I never think about until something like this comes up.

12. By the way, you can claim on airplay that has happened in the past, so people that don't want to risk the money can wait until they are guaranteed to make it back.

Radios 1 and 2 are really good...unfortunately 6 Music and XFM and even MTV2 seem impossible to get anything from.

The only downside with PRS is that they don't pick up on things that are submitted incorrectly...I always find stuff in the unclaimed royalties bit.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's generally only true of national radio. A play or two on local radio isn't worth much at all. They have a copy of the tariff on the website with all the different rates. It's quite hard to understand but that should give you an idea of what it's worth to you. Members can also search on unclaimed royalties which would include money withheld due to the royalty-earner not being a member, so you could ask a member to have a look for you at what you might be owed. It doesn't give exact figures but it'll give you a rough idea.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah I saw that, I was just clarifying because in theory all stations pay, just some of them don't pay very much.

Carry on.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been browsing this site...

On the 'join us' page it says

Join PRS as a writer
    Join MCPS as a writer

So, what's the difference between joining one or the other? Is it necessary to join both?

17. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

Yes mate you do have to join both they both collect different royalties:

MCPS collects and distributes royalties for its members whenever a piece of music is copied or that copy is issued to the public, i.e. mecanical royalties.

PRS collects and distributes public performance royalties for its composers, songwriters and music publishers i.e. performance royalties.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cheers mate

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

isn't it like 400 quid to join prs? and 50 for mcps or am I confused?

20. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

PRS is £100
    MCPS is £50.

21. Gav Gusher

Gav Gusher New Member

It's £108 to join both for lifetime membership.