1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Posh food (Beyond W. Yorks)

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by ohgee, Sep 11, 2014.

1. pablo

pablo New Member

You can only book The Fat Duck three months in advance, they don't open bookings up until then. It's amazing but ridiculously expensive; I didn't feel like it wasn't worth it but it did cost a fortune. It's worth saving up for.

I've been to Gordon Ramsey on the Royal Hospital Road and in New York, both good and a bit less expensive than The Fat Duck.

If you're ever in Edinburgh, The Kitchin is really good and really reasonably priced.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
  4. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Wine's always a bit of a gamble, innit?

We had this belter called The Boxer at the Shibden Mill Inn not so long ago (nice place) & it was loopy juice. Tasty though, & has a cool label.

We ate somewhere recently and got chatting to the gaffer who pointed out the wine we were supping for 20 quid he gets for 4 quid. I know they bang on a huge mark up but we didn't need reminding!

5. ohgee

ohgee New Member

The wife owes me dinner at the Kitchin - we were supposed to be going two years ago, but then I got ill and we haven't been able to re-arrange it yet.

Just north of Edinburgh, on the Fife coast, there's an area called the East Neuk that is full of great restaurants. We went there three or four years ago and had four consecutive nights of great eats. The Cellar in Anstruther, Craig Millar in St. Monan's, The Peat Inn (so famous locally that the area near it is referred to as Peat Inn), and Sangster's in Elie. Great seafood, as you would expect in a coastal area. In Crail you can by a lobster that's just been landed, watch it being cooked in a shack on the harbour, and eat it at a picnic bench - for £11! The Peat Inn and Sangster's had Michelin stars, but I think Sangster's might not any more - I expect it's still great, though. One chef, his wife runs front-of-house, basically in a living room. Very simple and relaxed. St. Andrew's is nearby as well, and there's plenty of good eating there too.

6. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

If you're ever in Southwold in Suffolk go to Coasters. It's a small independant restaurant and it's bloody lovely, and right by the sea. Also, anyone that is in that area and does like cover acoustic stuff should book gigs in the pubs there most of them do pretty well paid entertainment because it's a total tourist town.

7. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    ohgee, I've had two holidays up there recently and failed to eat in any of those (despite really wanting to try the Peat Inn and Sangster's). Damn it.

8. ohgee

ohgee New Member

All the more reason to go again! I know a great B&B if you do.

In fairness, neither place is cheap. We had dinner at Sangster's and lunch at The Peat, and paid about £100 for two people in each. In fact we paid about £100 at each of the four restaurants. The Peat is probably much more expensive in the evening.

On a music-related note, Anstruther is where the Fence Collective are based. I think they do sporadic mini-festivals up there.

9. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, the first time we were up was for a Fence thing in St Andrews, then a couple of times in Pittenweem for a wedding and the arts festival.

We did make it to the supposed Best Chippy Ever in Anstruther. It was ok, nowt special.

10. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Yes, it's a little disappointing that one, isn't it? Certainly not worth the queue. Pittenweem is where we stay. Never been early enough in August for the Arts Fest, but will try to get there some day. Never been to the Edinburgh Festival either, so might try and tie the two together. Plus a visit to the Kitchin! Sweet.

11. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    It'd be weird if you were in the same B&B as us. The arts festival is great, not only do you get to wander about looking at art, you can also have a nose around the houses it's being hosted in. We combined the trip with a couple of days at the Edinburgh Festival last year.

12. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Albert Cottage, on the main road in Pittenweem. Run by Robin and Jackie. Very hospitable, immaculately clean, great breakfasts, reasonable price.

13. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    NO WAY DUDE! Yes, it's lovely, isn't it?

14. ohgee

ohgee New Member

WAY! It certainly is!

15. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I had some good middle price posh(ish) food in Amsterdam, rice table at Blauw and steak tartar at Noordwest.

16. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

If you're even in Kent, go to the Ambrette in Rye, Canterbury or Margate. Indian-influenced menu with plenty of variety and flavour.

17. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Akash in York (North Street) is decent for a curry if anyone is there and looking for something very decent. This is how ridiculously good the service is there. Me and my girlfriend missed the last train back to Leeds one night because we were there. They gave us a lift home because one of their waiters lived in Seacroft.

18. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    That's ace.

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I was in Brighton at the weekend and went here for dinner: http://www.riddleandfinns.co.uk/ and it was so good I went to their other site on the beach front the next day for lunch.

We also went here: http://www.terreaterre.co.uk/ as we'd been told it was top end veggie stuff, it was good but expensive (though maybe not for Brighton), and it verged on trying too hard to prove that vegetarian meals can be just as overworked and overflavoured as some meat dishes. If you look at the menu descriptions they're sometimes guilty of trying to cram far too much in to a dish that would be fine with the variety of flavours ramped down a bit. Also they lose marks for twee names.

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood