1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Posh food (Beyond W. Yorks)

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by ohgee, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Anybody got any recommendations for properly posh places further afield?

Here's a couple of recommendations from me:
    Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles - probably the best food I've eaten. Every course was beyond tasty and into astounding. Also, it wasn't at all stuffy like some of the big name/big prices places often are.
    Purnell's, Birmingham - Lively atmosphere, and great food - quite fun and different - duck with liquorice springs to mind as something I'd never expected, or the egg custard served in the shell! Glyn Purnell turns up on the telly a lot these days.
    L'Enclume, Cartmel - one of the places Coogan and Brydon went to in The Trip. Probably the closest thing in the north to the Fat Duck - very imaginative stuff. My Grandma lives in the next village. She hates it.
    Royal Oak, Paley Street, Berks - Michael Parkinson owns this pub - he was there when we went! Best Sunday lunch I've ever had. Pretty reasonable too - £200 for four of us including desert and a bit of wine. That was a few years ago though.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Chris Catalyst

Chris Catalyst New Member

Perhaps not on the gourmet tip you're on about, but consistently the best curry I've ever had has been at The Bilash in Wolverhampton. I've been three or four times while round the corner at the Civic or Wulfrun and it's amazing. Not cheap but stunning curry - and not your standard brown curry swathed in sauce (which I like too); this is Michelin-starred gear.

The Tandoori King Prawn dish was unbelievable.

4. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Winteringham Fields out near 'ull - absolutely brilliant.

5. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I used to go out with a girl from Winteringham. Wish I'd have known this place was round the corner. There's not a lot else to do there.

6. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

This sounds great. If only there were literally any other reason to visit Wolverhampton.

7. cavie

cavie Member

*Makes cup of tea. Waits for Benny to arrive*

8. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    http://www.orfoz.net/

One of the best meals I have ever eaten - they don't bother with a menu and just bring a variety of dishes from whatever has been caught that day. It's not cheap (for Turkey) though (we paid 90 quid for two, though 30 of that was for the wine). Also it was full of very expensively dressed rich Turkish people and I felt a bit out of place in shorts and t-shirt.

9. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Bilash is excellent. So is Neel Akash, and The Grand Dilshad. Also about a mile out of town Penn Tandoori is five star across the board as well. We're quite good at curry.

The Standard and Purbani are quite good as well, but not as good as those. The only criticism I would give Bengali food though is it's so rich that it can make you feel a bit sick afterwards and sometimes they put a bit too much colouring and sugar in and buckets of cream so it's proper fattening, but I'd say Bangladesh have proper nailed the Raj influenced curry market. The service is also outstanding.

10. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Bongobenny, I presume you know Birmingham quite well if you're a black country lad? One time I went to the Supersonic festival, and I ate in a curry restaurant actually in the Custard Factory complex. It was really good, but I can't remember the name and can't find it on-line. Would like to take my family there (we're visiting soon so my wife can swim in a particular swimming pool (long story)).

11. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Restaurant DH1 in Durham & The Green Room in Scarborough. Both very different in appearance - one a smart old building, the other on a coastal backstreet - but some smart-arse cooking from both.

The Blue Lion in the Dales (East Witton) won't trouble the Michelin people but does solid, traditional Inn style food. It won Inn of the year last year, if that means owt & Angela Hartnett's a fan. She knows a bit.

Of course, ahem, eatingthenorth.wordpress.com has write-ups of some of these places...

12. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I presume that's you then? Just read the first review up there (Mumtaz, etc.). Nicely written. I will delve further when I get a chance. Cheers.

13. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Bay Leaf? It may have closed.That complex has changed loads in the last two years. I could be wrong though. It's very rare that I go to Digbeth (although I used to go to The Rainbow quite a lot) I've not actually eaten at Bay Leaf but if it's the one that was next to the bars there then that is its name.

14. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I think that was the one, yes. Shame if it's closed, I thought it was very good.

15. savagenoodles

savagenoodles New Member

I took my Mum to 'Dinner' at the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge for her 50th earlier this year. It's one of Heston's places, and I was expecting pretentious service to go with the price tag (set me back about £280 for 3 courses each, a bottle of wine and 2 glasses of champagne)... I chose it as we had both always wanted to eat somewhere with a Michelin star!

But actually the staff were absolutely fantastic, and we didn't feel like complete frauds eating there, as it did seem to be mainly people celebrating big occasions or having 'once in a lifetime' sorts of meals rather than the sort who eat there every night and don't think about it. Food was out of this world.

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Aye, tis I.

Ta for wasting a few mins to peruse.

17. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Was it based on olde worlde recipes etc? Looks very distinctive and I imagine it was quite the experience.

18. ohgee

ohgee New Member

A good staff should always do that - if they make you feel out of place, they're doing a poor job at service. I feel really sad when people tell me they won't go to top end places because they're worried about not fitting in (and I think I probably felt like that myself before I bit the bullet and went to my first Michelin-starred place). It's only money that makes the difference; they have a lot, we don't. Doesn't mean we don't have the right to go there if we feel like it.

Would love to go to one of Blumenthal's places (I've been to the Hind's Head which is a pub he owns in Bray near the Fat Duck, but I don't think he has a direct involvement with the menu there). The Fat Duck has also been a special occasions place, and Blumenthal, being a shameless populist, has cultivated that audience deliberately. He's been very important in getting out the idea that this stuff can be for anybody, not just an elite. His TV stuff has become very gimmicky, but it helps to promote his ideas that eating out should be fun and an adventure.

19. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Ate at Vero Gusto in Sheffield last night. Superb pasta, ace service.

No pizza = "serious" menu.

During the day we shared a bite at The Great Gatsby where the kitchen is run by Shy Boy Cantina.

Really good mexican 'street food' (in a pub) & excellent value for money. We shared stuff, paid a fiver each, & didn't finish it.

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Given all the new openings in recent years I'd nearly forgotten about the Fat Duck. Back on the radar now.

21. savagenoodles

savagenoodles New Member

Yeah it was brilliant - easily the best meal I've ever eaten. There are the odd Heston 'flairs' on the menu, e.g. 'meat fruit' for starter which is a meat pate style dish but made to look exactly like a tangerine/clementine - but mainly its just very very well cooked and sourced food with influences from medieval cuisine - a really interesting menu.

It also completely changed my mind on wine, I've always been convinced that once you get past about £10 a bottle the quality doesn't increase any more - boy was I wrong!!

I would live to do the Fat Duck but you have too book insanely far in advance, 'Dinner' I managed to get it booked about 6-8 weeks in advance without much fuss.