1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Places to send CDs for review

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Anonymous, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I do two sites -- links in my sig.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My general approach to sending out CDs would look like this:

Have a clear idea of who is likely to be interested in your music, and what places they are likely to look in for writing about their kinds of music. For a lot of musicians these will be the same as the places they themselves like to look.

One way to operate is to think of half a dozen bands who you would like to be on a compilation with, or who you would like to support (be realistic!). Google around to find positive reviews of their stuff, and follow up those writers/publications/sites.

Identify writers, publications and sites that look as though they have been positive about your kind of stuff in the past. Read their submission policy and follow it carefully. (do what they ask). Ideally, address you approach to a named writer or section editor.

Don't waste your time and energy addressing places you don't already know something about. Two sympathetic reviews in good places are far better than 15 rehashes of the pr sheet on anonymous catch-all websites.

Send a CD that has:

Good ID3 tags (test 'em!)
    Titles and contact details on the CD label (important when the CD gets separated from the blurb - usually this is immediate)
    Titles, names, biography and contact details (preferably with a web address where more details and digitised artwork can be found) on a single sheet of A4 (very important once the CD is inside the player)
    Anything else that you really want to send because it says something about you. (bearing in mind that lots of people hate getting, and losing, wodges of extraneous stuff)

Don't forget that the aesthetics of what you do will express far more about you and your music than you would expect. Lots of judgements will be made well before any music has been heard. Experience teaches that you can judge the music by the package. So a reviewer who loves lo-fi, scratchy, obscure punk will simply ignore a glossy airbrushed glamour shot with fancy fonts and shiny paper. Ask yourself - if this song was an envelope, what sort of envelope would it be? Then go get that envelope - and so on. Plain white label on the CD, plain white A4 information sheet (with good layout, spelling and efficiency is the safest bet)

Promoting stuff is dead easy - as long as:

1) you know what you are promoting
    2) you genuinely believe that what you are selling is what your audience will like.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks exitfare. I have added them to the list in the opening post

5. timbribe

timbribe New Member

Contact Music

Does anyone have the address to send reviews to Contact music??

Jo??

Cheers..

6. plasticfuzz

plasticfuzz New Member

Re: Contact Music

The Gate house
    Green Holme Mills
    Burley in Wharfedale
    LS29 7DB

I really hope that isn't Jo's home address that I just advertised. Facebook just isn't a good enough stalk for some people.

7. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling

You mean to send CDs in for review, or to send in reviews?

8. timbribe

timbribe New Member

We have a lovely cd to send, so the address above is spot on...

9. Ben NCM

Ben NCM New Member

Sam, could you possibly update your list with the new entries please like No-Title and Traffic magazine.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

11. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    Knowing Leeds folk, if you don't post the "how" they won't bother to ask to find out and will just move onto the next avenue - so it's in your interested to make it easy and blindingly obvious! So.. it'd be easier, I guess, if you posted the address to send CDs for review into. Unless it's clearly stated on your site, of course.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok then

If you're interested in a review from yours truly, please send a CD to -

2A CAMBRIDGE ROAD #04-04
    CAMBRIDGE VILLAGE
    SINGAPORE 219679
    REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE

Yes, Singapore!

Or, you can still PM me to give me a download link ...your choice

Thanks for listening

Cheers
    KEV

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does anyone know how long places like room thirteen , manchester music, sheffield music and gigwise normally take to review?

14. bellhouse

bellhouse New Member

i'd do it this way

very very rough times:

8 weeks to release - publications
    6 weeks to release - online stuff
    4 weeks to release - radio

15. Brader

Brader New Member

Is this for contact music?

16. Brader

Brader New Member

also does anyone have a upto date address and contact name for these places

Drowned in sound
    This is fake DIY

ta

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

18. bellhouse

bellhouse New Member

yes! giittv is aces!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Send Tony and the team a CD at Vibrations. They've always got time for new stuff. The mag seems to have grown nicley over the last couple of years.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I review demos for a several magazines across the UK as well as my own zine due for launch.

send them to

The House That Rock Built
    21 Norman View
    Kirkstall
    Leeds
    LS5 3JJ

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The list of urls is now up to 50 or so. Keep adding to this thread whenever you find one. Let us know if one diasppears.