1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Paid Driving Technology Research Participants Required

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by Daniel, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi all,

I am a research intern at the Institute for Transport Studies of the University of Leeds conducting a study aiming to evaluate the interaction of non-users of technology with driver assistance systems.

In order to complete the study, we require participants who fit the following criteria:

• Aged 18-35.
    • Regular drivers.
    • Non-users of any form of in-car technology e.g. SatNav

Volunteers will be interviewed while trying out a desktop simulation of a system providing information to the driver. Sessions will take place at the volunteer's convenience at the University of Leeds and should last no longer than one hour.

Participants will be paid £20.

If anyone is interested in volunteering or knows somebody who fits the criteria and who may be interested in taking part, please contact me via a personal message, at d.j.gillett@leeds.ac.uk or on 0113 343 1792.

Thanks,

Daniel

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Why the age restriction ?

4. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi,

The reason for the age restriction is that there is very little literature discussing technology acceptance/adoption by digitally excluded young adults, and this is something that we hope to shed more light on.

Daniel

5. Erin

Erin New Member

Surely anyone on here will be internet users though.

6. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi Erin,

Indeed, whilst forum members almost certainly will not fit the criteria, the post was largely to enquire as to whether any members might know of others who fit the criteria and may be interested in taking part, hence the final paragraph.

Thanks, Daniel

7. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

So as i see it you are looking to recruit people who are basically slow learners, and obseve them using sat navs/driving simulators recording their experiences, etc whos the funding source for this programme

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

Hmmm. Young people who drive but don't have a smart phone or use a computer.

While you're at it Lord Lucan is still at large.

:D

9. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

It would seem daniels not talking

10. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi Harry,

Sorry that I couldn't respond to you sooner; I've been away for the weekend.

There is no emphasis whatsoever on recruiting "slow leaners", simply any 18-35 driver who does not use technology. We hope to shed some light on how new technologies might become more accessible to those who do not have experience using them, with a view to ensuring that this group are able to take full advantage of technological benefits in society, such as finding/applying for jobs online etc.

The study is funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council as part of the BRIDGE project, which stands for Building Relationships with the 'Invisible' in the Digital Global Economy.

11. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

thankyou for the response im assuming the "invisibles" are your participants ,

12. Derc

Derc New Member

So you find the lowest level of tech users, to come up with a new tech aid device, that even they can use ?

13. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Yes Harry, that is the case.

In response to Derc: We won't be be working on any specific device for non-tech users, rather our findings will hopefully be taken on board by tech manufacturers to make their products more accessible.

14. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi all,

We are now accepting those that may use technology, but who do not use any driver aids, e.g. Satnav/ Cruise Control.

We're interested in finding out your opinins of the system; there are no right or wrong answers. If you feel as if you might like to take part then please find my details in the original post.

Thanks,

Daniel

15. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Is there still an age limit?

16. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi Croggy,

The age limit still stands, but we are willing to allow for ages slightly over the top end limit.

Daniel

17. Xisgil

Xisgil New Member

I can see your point Daniel. It will surely help them reach their consumers in the future.