1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Open Mic nights

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Al2001, Feb 14, 2008.

1. alfonse

alfonse Member

Re: Best open mic nights

Dead right chimpo

fonse

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. doc

doc Active Member

I understood benny , it can vary between very busy and very quiet and running order is on the hosts whim.

it is surprising how long matt has been running it and he is more open to planning a time slot than therese was. can still get down to 1 song each though on a busy nite.

chemic on a thursday runs later, has a 3 song policy and is generally under subscribed

4. Rock and Roll Circus

Rock and Roll Circus Member

Favourite Bands:
    Beatles

I think it depends what you're after, if you want a good evening out with lots of varied music where everyone has a go and joins in, The Grove is ace.

If you're going to an open mic because you want a gig and you don't feel ready/confident/practiced enough, then it would be frustating to wait around all night to play one song.

But if you're in the second catagory, it's not really a good open mic you want, you want a bit of a rubbish one where no other people want to play.

5. performingchimp

performingchimp New Member

I don't like/get this idea that you're ever "waiting around!! You're not waiting around, you're watching other performers! If this isn't your bag, open mics are probably not for you. :)

I massively wish more gigging folk would go to open mic nights, cos it would make the nights better and could also help people promoting their own bands/projects network with other local musicians. It gets all wrong in your head when it's all "me me me" every time you perform music, or every time you update your facebook or whatever. Open mics are what music is about, and if you think what you do as a performer wouldn't go down well at The Grove, you're wrong cos everything, LITERALLY ANYTHING goes down well at The Grove.

6. manwithspoon

manwithspoon New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Abba

I once watched a guy at the Grove reading poetry off a bin bag that he had put the words on in tipp-ex. The Grove is a lovely place with nice people who are appreciative of all kinds of stuff. I've played there and i didn't get told to get off once.

7. JamesColeyMusic

JamesColeyMusic New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Ed Sheeran
    Saturday 4 January was a great start to the Unicorn Inn Open Mic Nights of 2014... and we thought it was going to be quiet!

[​IMG]

8. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Open Mic tonight at The Ship,Briggate, free entry, 9 til late, all welcome.

9. isaac663

isaac663 New Member

Favourite Bands:
    the national

The Acoustic Circus runs some great open mic nights. Loads of different venues. They are starting one at the Full Circle in Leeds soon.

You can find the Facebook group is here.
    www.facebook.com/groups/Theacousticcircus/

My favourite open mic in Leeds has to be the grove. Can't remember a poor night there.

A little further afield there is the Acoustic Club at Bar 1:22 in Hudderfield. A good night there is a good as it gets :)

10. JamesColeyMusic

JamesColeyMusic New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Ed Sheeran
    The 'Hare & Sounds' Open Mic Night starts tonight at The Hare and Hounds in Rothwell (LS26 0QD).

It will then be held on the 1st Thursday of every month, and there'll be an Open Mic Showcase on Sunday 3rd May for our performers to show how they've developed.

[​IMG]

Probably best to contact me via Facebook for more info:

https://www.facebook.com/JamesColeyMusic