1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Open Mic nights

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Al2001, Feb 14, 2008.

1. arfurlife

arfurlife New Member

Favourite Bands:
    folk rock
    The New Pot Oil in Wrenthorpe Wakefield does a superb open mic night every Tuesday.The best I 've seen yet. Kicks off about 8 15 and is full of young wannabes of a very high standard indeed. The guy who runs it. (Chris) is a great guy and gets you a fabulous sound through the PA. Its best suited to solo acoustic or duo acts. best of all the audience is very quiet, respectful, friendly and responsive....now that is good for ya average open mic. They do have an unsigned band night on Mondays which is more suited to you noisier rockers.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bondmorkret

bondmorkret New Member

Sounds interesting arfurlife, not enough good open mic nights these days!

4. arfurlife

arfurlife New Member

Favourite Bands:
    folk rock
    Re: Open Mic nights at The Chemic tavern

Just to say that the Thursday open mic at the Chemic Tavern is still up and running. Me and my friend went last night and thought it was completely brilliant. The guy on the sound ( Badger) is superb and its simply not to be missed. The acts were great and we were totally blown away by the incredible Dooberries ( Sally and Georgette )

5. arfurlife

arfurlife New Member

Favourite Bands:
    folk rock
    Great open mic this Tuesday (and every Tuesday) at The New Pot Oil In Wrenthorpe. Wakefiled, just off the M1 on Wrenthorpe Road. Its friendly, well run and always of a high standard. Suits acoustic solo, duo, trio acts. Excellent PA provided. Get there for 8.30 latest. One of my favourites for sure.

6. JamesColeyMusic

JamesColeyMusic New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Ed Sheeran
  7. definitionofself

definitionofself New Member

Favourite Bands:
    mars volta, deftones
    Best open mic nights

Hey guys I'm looking to do a couple of open mics and after looking through the long old resource post on it I now have a massive list but I'm wondering if half are out of date and which are good. Can any musicians recommend a couple to start with please :) It will be me and an acoustic guitar doing some alt rock esq covers and a couple of originals. So one where not everyone is doing covers and being all folky would be ideal please :)

8. performingchimp

performingchimp New Member

Re: Best open mic nights

The Grove on Wednesdays is my favourite open mic night on earth. Two songs max.

9. Rock and Roll Circus

Rock and Roll Circus Member

Favourite Bands:
    Beatles

The Grove on a Wednesday is indeed ace, it's in a sucluded room as well so everyone is silent and watches the performer.

The New Consevartory has a good one on a Thursday night, nice and varied and they have a grand piano too!

I always used to go to Carpe Diem which was on a Monday, I assume its still going, that was cool.

They're my favourite ones.

10. alfonse

alfonse Member

More support for the Grove on weds - they also allow people to do prose/poems/rants

fonse

11. Daimo

Daimo Member

I'm sure there is one starting at the Eldon this Thursday

12. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I do Tuesday's at the Ship on Briggate and Thursday's at The New Conservatory which is a lot bigger and is quite a nice bar to play in. Grove is good but sometimes you're sitting about for ages for 1 or two songs which is a bit annoying. Good night though..

I tend to let people do four or five which is about right. Three minimum if it's busy. I put a few bands on and stuff as well. Plus I have a drinks budget so I tend to get about 24 cans of Becks and 12 Strongbow. Cokes and such I just give out for free.

We sometimes do paid slots for acts as well for events and things.

It's every Thursday, just email bongobenny@hotmail.com for slots.

13. alfonse

alfonse Member

Oi Benny, when are you sorting the Redgrass one at the Conservatory :eek:

fonse

I'd forgotten about this too ;-)

14. bongobenny

Hi Fonse!

Will sort! I'll keep you in the loop this time, there was a few management changes and stuff before then I just got tied up in a load of other stuff. :)

I'm not fobbing you off by the way. I think it'd be good, but I'll have to ask the boss. (there was a different manager before)

I think I have your music links in my saved messages..Will let you know if I need owt else

15. alfonse

alfonse Member

okey dokey, ta lad, wasn't meaning to mither (too much ;-) )

fonse

16. performingchimp

What do you mean? There's performers on all night except for a short break in the middle.

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Member

He means that if you're not the centre of attention for more than 2 songs it's not worth the effort.

18. bongobenny

Ha is that a dig? I don't always play my own nights if prefer to have other people play all night. I just think people should have a bit of a set. Don't get me wrong i love the grove. I used to play there all the time

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Member

Not a dig Benny. Just trying to work out what you were getting at :)

20. bongobenny

No worries. 1 song is always a bit too rushed. 2 I don't mind if somewhere is very busy but if you've been waiting all night 1 song is not enough. I absolutely always got drunk when I used to go to that night. Mostly to dull Johnny Solstice's ranting and inappropriate comments to performers. I heard he doesn't go anymore after pomegranate-gate.

21. performingchimp

Two songs is plenty I think, it means you can have lots of people and anything goes, cos anything is tolerable for two songs. What makes the Grove great is that everyone gets the full attention and support of the room while they play. It's solidarity personified.