1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Old Leeds Tram System

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jpress, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jpress

jpress New Member

Who dismantled the old Leeds Tramway system, why and do the same parameters for its demise still exist today.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Re: Great transport

Probably the very people who turned us into "Motorway City of the North". They deemed that a transport system which was reliable punctual and affordable was not what our great city needed. Good old council. Brains? Maybe but no foresight. Incidentally my older brother got a ticket on the last service. It terminated at Cross Gates and was met by a despondent crowd which included me.

4. Retired

Retired New Member

Re: Great transport

There was a brilliant prog on TV last night about trams.It was superb.But the drivers were outside stood up all their shift.It's a prog worth visiting again on the, on demand service .

5. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

what channel? what was it called?

6. Retired

Retired New Member

It was on lastnight monday 5th

Called . Timeshift--The golden age of trams-a streetcar named Desire.

A history of trams in Britain.

It was on BBC 4 at 9-00pm.

Hope that helps.

7. Retired

Retired New Member

I have found it.I googled BBC i PLAYER.And then pressed bbc 4 and up it came.Good luck.

8. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

9. Retired

Retired New Member

On the page in the middle to the right.Click on more information about this episode.It opens up more about transport links.There is a Leeds Society.

10. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

thank you, I'll try to find time to watch that