1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

New York New York

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by Lizisbest, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Lizisbest

Lizisbest New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Something Afro
    Has anyone been to New York at Christmas? I hate flying but I really want to go, would it be worth 3 months of anxiety!?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I havent been at Christmas but i have been. Its great, would love to go back.

Dont know how bad your anxiety is so hard to say if its worth it. If its so bad you end up in hospital or have a nervous breakdown then id say probably not!

4. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Valium.

5. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I have been to New York just before Christmas. It was fucking cold. My wife went there for her birthday at the end of January when she was 18 and there were warnings that people should avoid going outside where possible. Taxis were taking women and children first!

As a city, it's an amazing place to go whatever the time of year, and Christmas there is just as ridiculous and wonderful as you would expect. Just get a doctor to prescribe you something for the anxiety. My sister always gets one of those drugs that ends in 'pam'. That seems to do the trick for her, and her anxiety is quite extreme - for a long time she wouldn't get in a car with a roof!

6. eggle

eggle Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fred The Oyster
    New York is very cold but lovely at Xmas but I agree with the above - it's a fantastic/manic/strange/wonderful place to visit (been 3 times in the last 2 years) - lot's of happy peeps & some some not so happy like most cities around the world.
    I don't like flying and years ago went on a fear of flying course (most airlines & airports do them) - was a great help but still need to go to my GP for something small & round - really helps in small doses as does alcohol to go with them (not recommended)!! I now fly nearly every month somewhere (retired!!) and love it!! So yeh get in touch with ur GP to help you out - they know what the problem is - it's normal for them to deal with!! Good luck & enjoy New York!!

7. Lizisbest

Lizisbest New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Something Afro
    I love that's it's described as Wonderful - it's that kind of thing that makes it hard to resist! I've purchased the Lonely Planet to help solidify the dream. I like the idea of it being really cold, lots of big scarfs and stopping for a good warm every now and then. Where would be a must see? If we wanted to see a show should we book in advance?

Flying is just so god damn hard, even when I'm off my face on diazepam or valium, its so scary! But, if I can make it there, I can make it anywhere. Apparently.

8. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Go up Rockerfella Centre, amazing views of the whole city, Central Park and the Empire State Building.
    Go for a daytime wander round East Village. All down that end was my favourite, it was so much quieter than other parts and there were loads of great little bars, shops and eateries
    Go for a walk round Little Italy and buy gelato
    Catch the Staton Island ferry. Its free and provides great views of Lady Liberty
    Go to Times Square at night but be prepared for it to be RAMMO
    Marvel in awe as steam actually rises from the storm grates, just like in the movies!!
    Go to Pony Bar in Hells Kitchen.
    Go rowing on the lake in Central Park.
    Catch the underground to Brooklyn and walk back into Manhattan over Brooklyn Bridge
    Eat Shake Shack burgers looking at the Flatiron Building
    Catch the underground to Grand Central Station and walk back down into Midtown making sure to marvel at the beautiful Chrysler Building

Thats all stuff we did when we were there. One peice of advice i would give you is to accept that you cant do EVERYTHING. We ended up trying to pack too much in and it ended up being a bit of a whistlestop tour and we were knackered at the end of it. Just enjoy being there, soak up the atmosphere, pop into little bars for a casual drink or little delis for a sarnie. If you can afford it i would recommend going for a week

9. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Here are a couple of pics i took on my old phone from on top of Rockerfella looking north and south. We went in March so it was still cold then. Hopefully in December you will land on some clear, crisp days like we had :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lizisbest

Lizisbest New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Something Afro
    Your description is everything I want and more. Reading that list I'm like, ahha, ahha, yup yup, perfect, do it, yup, yup.... thank you! We're hoping to do 5 days, to keep costs down and take advantage of some cheaper flights, although I'm still not sure whether it's better to do a package to avoid the added stress of booking everything separate.

Your pictures are great! I think the scale of the place will blow my tiny mind.

(looks like I'm going the way I'm talking, which is positive!)

11. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Its huge. Thats what im saying about not trying to do it all, cos you cant. Despite my best efforts.

I think we went for four nights which is a minimum.

I really hope you decide to take the plunge and conquer your fear cos I think New York is just one of those places that, if you can afford to go, you should. Even if its only once. I loved it, i would say to anyone if you can only visit America once to go there.

Its kinda strange when youre there though. Because its been featured in so many films, tv shows, music videos etc etc it has a real sense of familiarity about it, you feel like youve been a hundred times before. I was just kinda walking round like "Yeah im NY, no biggie" like visiting London or something. It was only after i got back that it sank in what an awesome place it is

12. TMC

TMC Member

Favourite Bands:
    Proud Mary
    bloody hell, now I want to go to New York!