1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

New to Leeds - Up from London

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by D-from-London, Nov 26, 2015.

1. D-from-London

D-from-London Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I'm moving to Leeds this coming weekend, initially for 3 or 4 weeks to work on a project but if I like the city I might just look into staying on a more permanent basis.

Was born and grew up in NW London and looking at the possibilities of moving to a smaller city - one where you don't have to spend 2 to 3 hours a day commuting to work or just to see friends.

Any suggestions for good places to go in Leeds to meet new people for someone in their 30's ?

Also looking for suggestions on somewhere to go for New Years Eve just in case i'm still in the city by then

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Hello! Welcome tp Leeds. I did a year in London before I moved here. I suppose it depends what you're into but there's always been a pretty decent live music scene here. Leeds is a really compact city centre so there's a lot going on in a fairly small area. If you're into music the Brudenell Social Club New Years Eve parties are quite legendary.

4. D-from-London

D-from-London Member

Cool ... BTW what's the Three Mobile Phone signal like in Leeds - especially in Headingley area?

Whats the strongest Phone signal in the area?

5. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Leeds is the third biggest city in the country. We've got electricity and running water and internet and everything these days. All mod cons, you might say.

Whereabouts in Headingley will you be working? It can get quite lively can Headingley, depending on the time of year.

6. D-from-London

D-from-London Member

Not quite sure where in Headingley I am but it's close to some massive park with waterfalls :)

7. doc

doc Active Member

can't be hyde park

8. D-from-London

D-from-London Member

Oh it's Meanwood

9. Greetingcards

Greetingcards Member

Hi D,
    Welcome to Leeds. Largest Financial centre outside of London. Although we sadly don't have the same flood defences as the Capital. I am sure you will settle in just fine. Yorkshire people are some of the most friendliest people I have ever met. I am originally from Somerset. Moved to Leeds in 2000.

Staypuff likes this.
  10. D-from-London

D-from-London Member

Hi,

I'm actually back in London after almost 5 weeks in Leeds, the time flew by but certainly thinking about a longer return next time.
    The position I had in Leeds for 5 weeks was just temporary and included accommodation so if I was to return I'd need to sort out some work and a place to live but it's something I'm looking into.

11. Mike W

Mike W New Member

What was your favourite place you found?

I think Chapel allerton , roundhay and headingley are all great areas for people in their 30s.