1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

New laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Hi

I am thinking about ditching the PC and buying a laptop. Anyone done the same? I do use the PC a lot for general stuff. I want a laptop with reasonable sound, DVDR, wireless for printer and maybe phone, webcam for my daughter.
    What else?

I am thinking about ... Packard Bell EasyNote TK85 GU - 020 15.6 .. £350

* Intel Pentium single core P6200.
    * 2.13GHz processor speed.
    * 3GB DDR3 RAM memory.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5072387.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Tyke

Tyke New Member

Rather than a laptop concider some of the netbook type devices. Most have my family have gone over to these as they are a lot cheaper.

4. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

i ditched my desk top for my laptop, never looked back, forget about netbooks unless all you want to do is surf and email, tiny screens as well.

I do all my photo editing on my laptop.

just hecked out the specs on the one you mentioned, it has shared graphics card/memory so the 3gb memory will also be used for the graphics.

5. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I did have a netbook, and found it too small for my aging eyes, lol. The one that I linked to is out of stock, is it just me - but other large value items that I have tried to buy are 'out of stock'.

6. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Sounds good to me for the price SH.

7. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

8. dervish99

9. bewerley

bewerley New Member

PC's for the home are already obsolete.
    One day all laptops will be Applemacs.
    I wish I had had bought one and not the Acer laptop. All the letters are coming off the keys and the hard Drive hums constantly. Its 6 years old and needs dumping. You get what you pay for.
    Every 5 years my laptops seems to become redundant. Window 2000 became Windows XP that then became old hat, then something else. Its hard to keep up with it all.

10. dervish99

"One day all laptops will be Applemacs."
    :icon_eek::nono::crazy:

"I wish I had had bought one and not the Acer laptop. All the letters are coming off the keys and the hard Drive hums constantly. Its 6 years old and needs dumping. You get what you pay for."

PC's/laptops are obsolete after 6 years, tech moves on too quickly. Your Apple would also be redundant 6 yrs after buying it. (or is that 6 months, can never tell with Apple)

11. daves

daves New Member

I recommend Dell and they also do cashback via Quidco.

12. nevben

nevben New Member

I have also had a good experience with dell

13. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Thanks for all the recomendations, I ordered one similar to the one below, last night; picked it up this morning.
    It was listed as having £100 off, £330. All seems ok, just need to work out how/where to get wireless connection from. Do Asda sell stuff like that?

Intel P6200
    Windows 7
    17.3" screen
    3GB memory / 500GB HDD
    DVD WR
    Web cam 1.3

Should I make a partition on the hard drive, its sooo big; or is that a thing of the past?

14. dervish99

You probably need a wireless router, Amazon is probably the best place, but try your boradband supplier, they may give you one free, or cheaper than buying elsewhere.

Your 500GB HD will already have a partition in it for the backup/restore windows so don't be supprised if it does not read as 500gb free. i don't bother with partitions but it's a personal choice.

Make sure when you set your WIFI up that you secure and encrypt it, so others cannot jump on your connection.

15. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

They are sending me one for £5, home it dont take too long.

16. dervish99

Delivery probably quicker than set up:hey::D

17. just do a search on ebay and add you budget you cant go wrong.

18. whitedog

whitedog New Member

I've just done the same - ditched my desktop pc for a Dell Inspiron 17R, refurbished from the Dell Outlet store.

19. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Got my router free from plus net, came the next day too. All seems ok, but a few more things to test out.
    Not sure if my printer will do wire-less, it cost me £100 about 6 mnts ago.