1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Musicians union

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Anonymous, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Penny earlier today mention a Musicians union.

I am not a member of anything like this.... i didn't even know they existed.

Anyone a member of one?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Gav Gusher

Gav Gusher New Member

To be honest I'm not sure if there's much point joining unless you're a session player or in an orchestra or something.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Free legal advice. Free instrument/equipment insurance. Advice on all kinds of stuff. Plus the actual union aspect - who do you think lobbies for changes in the law relating to music and musicians? Knows who can help you find funding and accommodation if you are offered a place at SXSW? Knows how to sort out things like insurance, mortgages and pensions if you're a full-time musician? They will chase up payment when you've been promised a fee for a gig and the promoter doesn't pay up or otherwise breaks your contract. They give you model contracts to use for gigs. Loads and loads of stuff I can't be arsed typing up right now.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The free legal advice thing has been really really helpful to me, I've had loads of contracts to deal with over the last year that i wouldn't have had a hope of affording legal advice for, if it wasn't for being a union member.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I fully agree. The Musicians Union gave us plenty of good legal advice when we were signed and suggested a few amendments to our record contract. I think you also get free Public Liability Insurance, although don't hold me to that, cos I've taken out extra cover seperately.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You get free PLI for teaching music in some form. If you need it for anything else, you do need separate cover.

9. E-Meist

E-Meist New Member

I've been a member for a few years. I joined for the public liability. You can register as a sound engineer,it was the cheapest way of making sure I'm covered if I drop a speaker on someone or knock someones guitar over etc..
    The tax tips for self assessment were quite useful, though due to not being a performing musician, not quite applicable.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you could have done with this gavin

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a member of MU too. It's potentially worthwhile for ANYONE earning money from music, on any level. If you are not a member of another trade union, you should definitely join. If you are already a member of another union, it may or may not be worthwhile.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should get a certificate for £10,000,000 worth of Public liability Insurance every year from the MU (if you're a member, obviously). I got this years in the post this week. You probably don't need the extra cover fella...

14. Gav Gusher

Gav Gusher New Member

I should point out that I have actually got my bass back now, but thanks anyway.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WHERE THE **** WAS IT?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it was in trash where he left it

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

UNFORTUNATELY, HE TUCKED IT AWAY SOMEWHERE OUT OF SIGHT.

18. Trust Drew

Trust Drew Member

It was on the floor bang smack in the middle of the kitchen, with big 'Japan' flight tags wrapped round it.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

NOT WHEN I LOOKED IT WASNT.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Musicians' Union - free event

Hi Leeds.

I've noticed from some of the topics on this forum that people are perhaps interested in knowing more about royalties, and in particular PRS and PPL. I'd therefore like to invite any of you to attend an event that we're putting on in Manchester next Monday (6th July) in the evening at the Ruby Lounge. I appreciate it's short notice and it's a fair few miles away, but some of you may find it worth the trip. It's free all and there's tea and cakes courtesy of Mrs Boon's Tea Party. Please see info below and e-mail me: kelly.wood@musiciansunion.org.uk if you'd like to attend. Cheers.

Made in Manchester 2

Following a hugely successful seminar in 2008, the Made in Manchester series continues with another thought-provoking and informative session entitled ‘Show me the Money’. Staged once again at Manchester’s Ruby Lounge, the event will deal with income streams within the music industry. In a time when record sales and gig fees are not what they used to be, musicians are now encouraged to look for other means of existing through their art. The evening will feature presentations from PPL and PRS for Music - detailing, amongst other things, how performance and song-writing royalties are generated, collected and distributed.

MU General Secretary, John Smith, will be bringing his extensive experience to the table and chairing an in-depth discussion with local legend, Clint Boon, who can currently be found entertaining the drive-time crowd on XFM, and Jayne Compton, founder of the Switchflicker record label and Club Brenda.

Monday 6th July 2009

18:30 ‘til late @ The Ruby Lounge, High Street, Manchester.

Places are free, but limited. To reserve a place, contact Regional Officer, Kelly Wood:

kelly.wood@musiciansunion.org.uk tel 0161 236 1764

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well worth it, if only for the public liability insurance. Kelly is a good person to know too!