1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Moving from Sheffield

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by NorthernNatural, Aug 24, 2013.

1. NorthernNatural

NorthernNatural New Member

Hi!
    I'm looking to move up to Leeds in the next few months from Sheffield, and as it's something of a fresh start for me (I don't know anyone in the city) I guess I'm putting out the feelers just so I'm not isolated and intimidated when the time comes.
    I've seen people about the forum who declare Sheffield to be better than Leeds, but having lived here my entire life I can confirm that it isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people, and for numerous reasons I want out.

Erm...so that's it, I guess. See you around the forums :)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the group.

What area do you want to live in? ie will you be commuting to work in Sheffield or Leeds?

4. NorthernNatural

Hi Croggy, thanks for replying.
    I'm looking to both live and work in Leeds, there's a reputable psychotherapy college that I'm eventually going to enrol at, so it makes sense to stick in the area. I've got very basic knowledge of the areas and despite what I've read about some areas I want to keep an open mind because I know there are good/bad patches in all areas, however I'd want a more central location to make commuting easier (I'm going to be working on agency so will be all over the place)

5. Tech Repairs

Tech Repairs New Member

I've moved to Leeds from Sheffield around 9 months ago. The nightlife in Leeds is better that's for sure, and you get a lot more things you expect a large city to have. Unlike Sheffield which is stuck in the past a little bit honestly (I lived there for 15 years)

6. NorthernNatural

I'm hoping there's a lot more stuff to do in Leeds. I'm not having a dig at Sheffield at all (I know some can be touchy around the issue of home-towns) but I find the same activities of continental market and the Peace gardens by the beach to be tiresome, year after year. I think this city can be ok depending on your interests but as climbing or music aren't particularly great passions of mine I kind of feel at a loss, and feel like I need to do some moving around before deciding where to settle down.

All my family hold Leeds in very high regard, so I figured I'd check it out! I'm in town on Tuesday for an interview, but figure I'll do some wandering around too so I can get a feel for the city centre

7. Tech Repairs

Tech Repairs New Member

By not being a big fan of music you're missing out. The music scene in Leeds is amazing to say the least. Leeds is larger than Sheffield I feel and you really get to notice the difference when you spend a little time browsing the city center.

In terms of recommendations for stuff to do, I'm fairly stuck for ideas as most of my time is spent doing music related activities which would probably not be of interest.

Spend some time trawling through old/new threads on here, there's bound to be someone talking about something interesting to do, you'd hope.

8. AccessMovement

AccessMovement New Member

I lived in Fullwood for a while and loved my time in Sheffield with the Peak District nearby but am happy to be back in Leeds. Less hills here in Leeds and the roads are easier to drive on. Leeds city centre is much more alive and vibrant than Sheffield. We don't have a Meadowhall on our doorstep.

9. Greetingcards

Greetingcards Member

Hello welcome to the group. Colton is a nice place, next door to Temple Newsham House and parkland. Serviced by two First Buses, shopping centre nearby and the usual eating places, plus Crossgates shopping centre just down the road from Colton. Me and my partner have been here for 14 years.

10. cahill

cahill New Member

Leeds not a patch on sheffield lad.

Up the Blades

11. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I don't really fancy living somewhere where people stick blades up you? is knife crime a big problem in Sheffield?

12. Oldgoat

Oldgoat New Member

No - Leeds has a higher level of violent crime than Sheffield (Sheffield is 'living in the past' apparently but bring it on I say)- but the shopping is better in Leeds for sure.
    Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. LS resident

LS resident Member

Actually, both have similar rates of violent crime resulting in some injury (rate per 1000 population) - rates are within about 10% of each other (although on last year's figures Sheffield has a substantially higher homicide rate), but both are relatively low compared to other large cities in the UK.

Sheffield's ok, but Leeds is a much bigger and busier city in my opinion. Also consider though that when considering Leeds, the surrounding towns and cities (and countryside) add greatly to what Leeds has to offer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014