1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Most Overrated Bands

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by Mr Gary C, Apr 15, 2014.

1. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

The National, fucking hell midlife crisis music!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

They kinda headlined Glasto last year as well...

The National are a slow burner, I fucking love them though.

4. andyabbott

andyabbott New Member

It's a funny one isn't it because most of the bands you will have heard of / come across are, in the main, the product of a clever marketing campaign or someone else's hard work .. we all know the music industry doesn't work on merit alone. So even bands that I might have a real affection for (Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Queen etc.) were ripping off other bands or part of a scene where they were the lucky band that went stratospheric and many others didn't (for various reasons not related to their music) or chose not too.

So it's much easier to point the finger at recent bands where you've seen that happen: The Oh Sees - weird that they went so massive when Coachwhips were relatively unknown - or Cage The Elephant - really weird Britpop / glam rock rip off band who I guess survive on the fact that their fans don't know the songs they are copying - than older bands.

That said I think Radiohead's inclusion on any 'important album' list is always unwarranted but maybe that's just because I had a very underwhelming and expensive gig experience when I saw them tour OK Computer and that ruined it/them for me. Contrariwise I think Aphex Twin's stuff is genuinely mint and going back to it always makes me think 'it's mental he was writing and producing this stuff at this time and at whatever age he was'.

5. trev

trev New Member

Yeah G'n'R wtf was that all about. Heralded as the saviours of American rawk. Very average cheesy rockers plugging a massive gap in the market at the end of the 80's, I always put their appeal down to the fact that dad rockers who remembered the great American rock bands of the late 70's that the uk media simply ignored, loved G'n'R for nostalgic reasons and the younger generation didn't appreciate that they were a poor imitation of the originals and had never seen the like before when G'n'R were launched over here. One or two half decent songs, lots of swagger, but multiplatinum sales? Never got it. At the time I was going back and listening to Diver Down, a van halen lp from about 5 years before appetite for destruction that didnt really sell....and wondering what all the fuss was about.

6. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    What the absolute ****? The National are awesome!

7. tome

tome Active Member

Now I'm fairly tolerant of most musical genres but there's one band that has forever eluded my understanding. RUSH, surely must hold the title of most overrated band of all time in the history of rock music.

No wonder G'n'R cleaned up a fortune after the public were exposed to such a tuneless bunch of chancers like Rush for so long.

8. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Manic Street Preachers. Tuneless shouting, three chords swamped with strings.

Cack.

9. Mark Sturdy

Mark Sturdy Member

+1 for The National. Don't mind the old stuff that sounds a bit like Tindersticks or something, but the more recent sub-Editors stuff? No ta.

Also: British Sea Power. Seen them at festivals maybe five times now over the years, each time more profoundly unmoving than the last.

10. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    I do not think much of Fleetwood Mac, nor do i care for the music of Bruce Springsteen...all a bit boring i,m afraid..

11. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    ACDC
    LED ZEPPELIN
    BLACK SABBATH
    JIMI HENDRIX

TOTAL UNLISTENABLE WANK.

12. ajk

ajk New Member

Favourite Bands:
    I don't like music
    You've clearly not listened to the Holy Bible then.

13. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Sorry, i was generalising everything after that.

Holy Bible is the one where they're trying to be Joy Division and Nine Inch Nails isn't it?

Still over-rated cack.

14. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    Tom Russia?!!!! Your time is now!!!!

15. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

Ac/Dc, Led Zep, The National, Elbow.

(edited for politeness).

16. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    I think we're descending into what people believe is just shit thread just because people don't like.

I would have though overrated would have been more of an argument against something you slightly like, but have a mass audience (appeal). And perhaps have other examples of other artists bands being better in that area:

For me the Sex Pistols are overrated not because i think they are crap, but for me they represented 'anyone can play an instrument, even if the player held no talent (see; the Sid Vicious part of the story where sometimes he wasn't even plugged in).

However, this was important during their era when the only people being deemed good enough to play in a lot of music had to hold a virtuoso talent for their instrument (i.e a lot of Prog bands from the 70's).

The music became very one dimensional, and a lot of style over substance, and due to this I think the Clash, Blondie amongst others should be rated higher than the Sex Pistols; because both those bands moved the genre of punk forwards (The Clash with reggae, Blondie with disco), where as I feel the Sex Pistols regressed as i pointed out above.

I don't just think the sex pistols are shit which then means they are over rated.

Razorlight are shit, and not over rated.