1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Middleton Area Of Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by marsaday, Dec 9, 2012.

1. marsaday

marsaday New Member

Hello does anyone know about the Middleton area of Leeds. We are thinking of buying there.

Stuff is cheap and we can get to Wakey pretty easily.

We have looked at houses near Throstle rd/lane areas and Acre rd area.

Is there any difference between these areas as they are close to each other?

Please no posts on stay away etc. If the area is no good please say why.

Price is our main factor and we need 3 beds and a garden. All these house offer these things. Thanks

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't advise you on areas as I'm not very familiar with that side of Leeds, but someone else should be able to give you some information soon.

4. nevben

nevben New Member

Middleton is like many council estates really. I would suggest that a reasonable guideline would be the number of other people that have bought in the street you are looking at.

5. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Buy on the outskirts of the estate, as they tend to get worse the deeper you go.

6. Derc

Derc New Member

You seem to know more than you are saying Marsaday, I agree with derv, I used to work at the fire stn. Dewsbury Road, Miggy, Cottingley and Belle Isle kept us very busy with stolen car fires, that was a long time ago, the estates may have mellowed by now but a sturdy hedge a garage for the car and security alarms need to be on your list.

7. negunu

negunu New Member

Avoid central area, the council estates, because there are many anti social behaviour problems there (drug dealing/using, few prob families dominate, arson, theft). Locally the area round the Acres n Thorpes is known as 'the dark side' of middleton...... The only area round there I would consider are the new build estates, the council estates have long term social issues, new comers stand out and unless streetwise can get targeted. The new builds around the outskirts dont seem to have these problems, agree with previous post suggestion of looking at amount of bought properties around.

The historical problems mentioned (car fires etc - the people nicking them live round there, so that is where they end up getting burnt out) continue, in my view the estate you are looking at is worse than most, hence the cheapness....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. Davejude

Davejude New Member

Any body who buys a house in the bad parts of Middleton (Miggy) is making a grave mistake !! you'd be cheaper renting (if you're hell bent on living there) as you would loose less money, any property there would depreciate and it would be a millstone around one's neck.:icon_rolleyes:

9. mickelaine

mickelaine New Member

I delivered around that area for ten years and wouldn't recommend any of the streets you have listed.

The following are just a few reasons why the houses are cheap.

High crime rate, anti social behaviour, arson, drugs, parents walking round in pyjamas, hoodies, stray dogs and generally a scruffy area.

Follow the link below which shows you the crime figures for that area.

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Leeds, West Yorkshire LS10 4PB, UK#crimetypes/2012-10

I would steer well clear.

If you want a cheap house in the middleton area I would pick the Helstons.

I rent a house out up there, they are cheap spacious and the crime rate is very low in comparison to the thorpes and acres.

good luck

10. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Great post and spot on

11. scotv ous

scotv ous New Member

I have a friend who lives nearby, Markington PLace, new builds, and very posh, no bother as its away from the old Middleton which has a reputation for being a bit anti-social.
    my friends are German, professionals and love Leeds, his g/f loves the bus rides into town, although she has a car, anywhere near this street is good.ie; Thorpe lane left, middleton ln/left and up Towcaster ave,,, there you are, be happy there. my friends are. they often fly around the world, and come back with house/contents intact, ...

12. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Well I grew up on one of the streets you mention, Throstle Lane... number 52 to be exact. Then as an adult I lived on the same street with my ex who still lives there (my sons dad).

I probably have a biased view of it but I grew up there. I knew everyone, the kids who might have caused trouble, well I knew their parents so I never had any issues. I never got my house broken in to, never was attacked and didn't even feel scared walking around the streets alone at night.

Having said all that it's been 7 years since I lived there and I have heard it has gone downhill. Although drugs have always been available around there I think there are now many more dealers living there now. If you are moving there not knowing people in the area I would guess that you may be an easy target for some of the trouble causing kids / young adults in the area.

Personally I wouldn't buy there now, 10 years ago I probably would have (did in fact!). If at all possible I would reccommend renting there for a period before buying as if you don't like the area you could have trouble selling the place.

On a more positive note, most of the ex council houses around there sound exactly what you are looking for. The house I grew up in and the house I also bought, both on Throstle Lane were big, well built with good sized kitchen, bedrooms, living room and enormous gardens.

Oh and I would recommend buying away from the shops as this is where a lot of trouble would happen. If there is anything particular you want to know feel free to message me and I will try and help.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012