1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Leicester City

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Agent_W, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

If they win the title, it will be the biggest football stunt since ...

... I'm not sure.

Probably the biggest one in my lifetime. I'm rooting for them; I'd love them to win it. All the big clubs spend all the money, and Leicester have spent not very much. How cool would it be if they won the title? The last team I remember coming from nowhere to win the league was Forest under Clough, but the world has changed so much since then that I'm not sure it's a fair comparison.

Sure, they've been helped by Van Fail at Manchester United, the perennial falterers at Arsenal, imploding Chelsea and a not-very-good Man City. They're a very tidy side, though, and they are certainly not mugs. They could be up against Bayern, Barca, and whoever else next season. How mad is that? At this time last season, they were bottom of the table and dead certs to go down. They've got nine games to go now; they might only need six wins to be champions.

Can they do it?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
  4. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

I've never been much of a fan of Leicester...and they were a bit of a bogey team when we (Leeds) were in the Premiership, but I suppose i fall into the 'anyone but Man Utd' camp...and what better team than Leicester to do it? So, good luck to them. Especially considering their ups and downs over recent years. It's a bit annoying hearing their fans on phone-ins bleating on about how great they are, when at the start of the season they were slagging off Ranieri when he became their Manager (and Lineker was the worst of them for this).

This situation reminds me of Leeds in 99/00 when we were top at Christmas, but the events and aftermath of Istanbul and also Leeds' ability to **** everything up meant we had to settle for Champions League place.

Good luck to em. It'll make a nice change if they win it.

alfonse likes this.
  5. alfonse

alfonse Member

Yes, and I hope they do too. It'd piss off that US Sports Exec bellend for one, which is more than enough of a reason

6. Yes come on Leicester a breath of fresh air. However it leaves wonderment in why nobody has picked up Leeds. No disrespect but Norwich, Swansea, Bournemouth, Stoke, Burnley, Middlesborough, and to a lesser extent Leicester!! All much smaller Towns and Cities that appear to have less potential. Also they all rip through the Championship in one season whilst Leeds languish. Whats wrong with Leeds ? Even when we get Arabian money they go bust, only Leeds can find someone in the Gulf who is skint! Where are the Chinese?

7. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I really hope they do it. My hubby is a Man City fan (I know....I know.....but at least it's not united!) and our boys have followed in his footsteps. So I would like Man City to win it for them.....but if not then I think it would be brilliant for Leicester to do it.

8. JohnnoLS8

JohnnoLS8 Member

I really hope that Leicester win the title, because it would be a massive breath of fresh air. Possibly the best thing to happen to English football since... erm... maybe since Forest winning it?

Some of the pundits in the media are already starting to undermine the achievement though (even before it's happened!) Suggesting that if they win, it'll be the bigger clubs' 'fault'. It's very reminiscent of the last time we won the title. Some of the media couldn't find the grace to admit that we deserved it, they had to harp on about ManUre 'throwing the title away'. (Which was utter bollocks, of course.)

9. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Sunday could be the day!

10. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

They had to wait until tonight, but that is it. An amazing stunt.

11. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    A dreadful business.

12. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Technically they won the title at Old Trafford....that's good enough for me.

13. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Which is good enough. That said, they also get a huge party at home against Everton at the weekend, and for the last game of the season they get a guard of honour. Against Chelsea, who unceremoniously sacked Ranieri a few years back for ... erm ... not much really. It's worked out quite nicely :)