1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Leeds voted to remain

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Jun 26, 2016.

1. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Leeds voted remain despite having the largest number of immigrants, and the surrounding areas voted to leave. Why did Leeds vote remain?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Because Leeds is not as green as it's cabbage looking.

4. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Euroscepticism among readers of the Sun, Mail and Express is high, perhaps Leeds has a high proportion of younger voters that read the Guardian?

5. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Is it not because of the Labour Leader's outstanding Remain Campaign?

6. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

The Labour leader is a EU skeptic, so maybe he got what he wanted, nationally.
    But why did Leeds vote remain, we have a pro-EU Liberal Democrat MP, perhaps he swung it for remain.

7. alfonse

alfonse Member

I think all the MPs in Leeds were for staying in.

8. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

The party leaders were not the people in charge of the campaigns, was it Boris and Gisela Stuart?

9. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I wonder how they all voted today...

10. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Andrea Jenkyns, Tory anti EU

11. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Easy, once the numbers get crunched: http://theconversation.com/hard-evi...low-immigration-voted-mainly-for-brexit-62138

I quote: "high proportions of Leave voters were overwhelmingly more likely to live in areas with very low levels of migration."

And again: "It was where those socio-economic characteristics occurred in places with a predominantly white British population, that the Leave vote was strongest. So where migrants were not present, it appears they were held partly to blame for the all-too-real, but much deeper-seated, economic difficulties experienced by locals."

Might be worth asking why those people who never, ever see any immigrants are so opposed to them?

12. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I am not sure that is true. Scotland has a much lower level of immigration, yet they voted to remain. Southern England where immigration is higher voted to leave.

13. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Perhaps Leeds is simply better educated?