1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Leeds Forum is changing...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leeds Forum, May 29, 2015.

1. Leeds Forum

Leeds Forum For Everything Leeds Staff Member

Hi all,

We're aware that Leeds Forum has been struggling a bit lately, in terms of lack of activity and new users. We would hate to see the forum close, which is a real a possibility, so we've made the following two decisions:

1. We are going to merge this forum with Leeds Music Forum. The new forum will continued to be called Leeds Forum. If you're not aware of LMF, it's a forum that (as you may have guessed) focuses primarily on discussing the music scene in Leeds. It has around 1,500 registered users although in reality, a bit like here, the number of regular active users is quite a bit smaller. All the users, posts and topics from both forums will be merged together - meaning nothing from the archive should be lost. Also Leeds Music Forum will become a sub-forum of the new site, a forum within a forum in some respects.

2. We are going to upgrade the software to Xenforo which is made by the original team behind vBulletin. It's a lot more modern and has things like user tagging and a mobile friendly design.
    We're aware there may be users on both sites that dislike (or even 'hate') this idea. But the decision has been made and this is the only viable way of keeping both forums online as we want them to be ad-supported, rather than reliant on donations.

In terms of timescales, again being honest here, we're not sure. We imagine the work will take place in and by the end of June. If anyone is interested in helping, or becoming a new moderator on the combined forum, then please send us a Private Message.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Re: Leeds Forum is changing..

Good Luck with this. not living anymore in Leeds so I do not contribute many posts but do enjoy reading the other contributions, Again Good Luck. J.D.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

I would be interested in helping to moderate if you want me just let me know.

5. Produce Box

Produce Box New Member

Could be a good match a tiny bit more activity could spiral into lots more. Let's see what comes from this! :)

6. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Better to merge than go under unity is strength usually

7. HTH1

HTH1 Member

Seems the best way forward. I would not want to lose this Forum. I enjoy reading it and contributing when I have something relevant to say!!

8. Leeds Forum

Hi guys,

Just a quick update - we're currently researching the technicalities of the move and should see it completed by the end of the month.

Thanks

9. Leeds Forum

As you can see, everything has changed today. We're aware of a number of issues like SoundCloud & YouTube embeds not working. Also this isn't the final design, just the stock out of the box one.

10. JBR*

JBR* Member

This looks fine to me, even if it's not the finished article.

In fact it is quite similar in layout to another forum I regularly visit. They also have recently adopted a redesigned format.

11. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

It's alright this, quick and easy to follow.

12. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    So, that was scary...a whole new look...

13. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    And also got an award just for posting. I am going to like it here.

14. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    I got three awards just for showing up.

15. Leeds Forum

I've not had any yet :(

Thought we should have earned one for managing to merge two forums... but no, no award for us ;)

PS. We have no idea where these awards are coming from, we need to RTFM at some point!

16. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    Haha. I just won another award for being liked.

17. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    Oh, this not good....24 hours without a single award...this is really not good. I may have to take action.
    Not really sure what kind of an action but an action it will be. Blast!

davelms likes this.
  18. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I have a sheild for 'best game of bowling' in my work cupboard from a work night out 9 years ago. When I don't get an award for a bit I just look at that and think 'winner'....

19. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    Oh, i love sheilds! But what are they exactly?

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Ey up.

I can find this forum on Tapatalk, but can't access it from there. Is it just me?

ta.

21. JBR*

JBR* Member

Ah, so you're a member of the House of Lords!

davelms likes this.