1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Leeds 3rd International Beer Festival - win tickets and more

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by Plus1pete, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Plus1pete

Plus1pete New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Too many to mention
    Anyone going? September 4th - 7th, Leeds Town Hall.

Anyone fancy going to the Sunday session, FOR FREE?!

We have 4 tickets to the Sunday session for you to WIN plus a whole load of brewery goodies including;
    T- Shirts
    Polo shirts
    Key rings
    Brewery tours
    Bags
    and more...

The competition can be found on Plus One Magazine here

Closes September 1st - 6pm
    Must be over 18

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    Re: Leeds 3rd International Beer Festival - win tickets and

Looking forward to this. Went for the first time last year, just to the Sunday sesh (first time ever at a Beer Fest actually) and really enjoyed it.

Getting tickets for the Saturday evening this year, then potentially going to wander up Sunday, depending on how fragile I feel...

4. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss

Can't wait for this! Been the last 2 years and it's getting better and better!

5. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie

Went for the first time last year and had a great time. Hopefully the Oktoberfest bit downstairs has sorted the air conditioning out this year.

6. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie

haha one of the women in the Oktoberfest section last year was so plastered come 3pm Sunday that she ended up selling us 2 pints at a pound each

7. bash

bash Member

call me tight but i feel as though i have to draw the line at £7 for entry alone...

am i right in saying this would get me zero booze? so a glass and a "programme" and without been harsh some not exactly top drawer live music.

so £7 for a glass and the opportunity to buy food and drink.... i liked it last year but it wasn't brilliant and yes the downstairs bit was nice but very hot and stuffy

8. Lavalas

Lavalas Member

Favourite Bands:
    Do Make Say Think

Who's brain child is this beer festival anyway? Who's behind it?

9. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Just a couple of people who run the fest i think, cant remember their names but chatted with them before when they were running the bar at the town hall during Leeds film fest

10. Lavalas

Lavalas Member

Favourite Bands:
    Do Make Say Think

Cool, cheers. Just wondered if it was a local bar or something.

11. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie

last year Whitelocks, Friends of Ham and Ilkley Brewery were heavily involved in it (I know this as their logos are on the glass I got).

12. Ayala

Ayala Member

Favourite Bands:
    punk

It's pricy for a beer festival, but as far as beer festivals go it's absolutely excellent. Such a good range of different and interesting beers, the food is fantastic, (I'd go back for the veggie curries that were on last year alone) and the music? It's something in the background isn't it.

Regarding who's behind it, Zak Avery, (beer writer, owner of the Beer Ritz mail order company and the shop up in Headingley) is behind it in one way or another. Really nice bloke as well and always happy to chat about beer. He's written the intro in the programme a few times I think and is usually there at the Beer Ritz stall.

13. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie

Got my tickets for Saturday evening's session. Looking forward to it! Depending on how hungover/how poor I am, I may head over again on the Sunday too

14. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie

Looking forward to this weekend. Serious Sam Barrett at the Brudenell on Friday followed by the Beer Festival on Saturday night.

15. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss

This was fantastic. It was mind blowing being stood at the front for TFT in that marquee outside. Why can't there be a beer festival every week?

16. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie

Saturday evening was so good!
    Sunday morning was not ...

17. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Za
    Zak Avery isnt behind the festival, just involved in respect of beer ritz, who werent there this year. Whitelocks/Ilkley etc on board as 'partners' - Basically you get a bit more exposure from billboards etc, sponsorship-esque. @leedsbeermaz is the twitter account of one of the two people who run it, cant remember the guy's name still.

18. Ayala

Ayala Member

Favourite Bands:
    punk

Fair cop. I'd assumed he'd had something to do with it given he did the intros for the programme for the first two years it was going, and Beer Ritz was pretty much front and centre both times. Shame not to see it there this time round but I suppose it's not really the sort of place you'd buy a lot of bottles to take home.

19. dodell

dodell New Member

I've seen there's a beer fest happening next week at Canal Mills so will probably pay that a visit.

20. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Yeah, Brewers Market. Think i'll pop along. Never been to Canal Mills before.

21. Pat Badger

Pat Badger New Member

I'm going to head along on Saturday evening too I reckon.