1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Last.FM

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by davelms, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i absolutely love last fm! used it over the last few months to discover tons of ace ambient post rock bands, awesome stuff.

i've tried out using the 'powerplay' promotion tool, where you pay for your music to be targetted to the people you think will love it with similar artists and stuff. People who listen to it know it's being played to them through that, so it's still legal and not too rude and stuff. It's pretty effective though, i decided just to try it out, paid 11 quid for it to be played to 100 people that would potentially love it, and of them about 20 people 'loved' the track. I suppose you could say that we got 200 plays the other day on myspace for free, but i just think last fm users are much more open minded about actually wanting to explore the artists they hear, and are much more likely to go and see them/buy an album/listen to it all the way through.

subscription is nice too, not loads of benifits, just more radio stations, no banners, and better service in general. only a few quid too.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. AgentW

AgentW Member

Interesting stuff. Can I ask how you targeted these 100 plays? A "hit" rate of 1 in 5 seems OK. Was it through a "sounds like" tag?

And yes, it pisses all over MySpace from a great and incontinent height.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's targeted through the whole similar artists definer. When you set up a powerplay promotion, you make a list of around ten or so bands that you think are listened to by those who would like you, or bands that are similar to yourself. I don't think tags are that involved. I've never fully understood tags...

It's a great tool is last fm, probably my favourite little bit of the internet.

5. AgentW

AgentW Member

Thanks for that. Good stuff. Thinking out loud, it would follow that if you do the research on those ten "sounds like" bands carefully enough, you'll stand a very good chance of getting into receptive ears. One in five pressing the "heart" button is pretty good going - I know I don't press it very often.

And I suppose if you're an indie chancer, you could just put in the names of the top ten selling indie artists of last year and hope for the best ...

Good to have you on board, by the way. PM me a link to your stuff (or post it if you like) and I'll have a listen.

6. bellhouse

bellhouse New Member

is there a way i can block specific artist been played on my lms artist radio? I just had a bad experience.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you can click on one of the options where you say you didn't like that track.

It'll be next to the heart one which you click on when you love a song

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ive just signed up to this finally. How do i get one of them sad lists of my top tunes this week.

9. AgentW

AgentW Member

Listen to some music, and you'll get one in the next few days.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

last fm - different artists? advice please

i'm struggling to completely comprehend the interface of last fm. - i'm wanting to upload bands i've played in

do i have to set up a new account for each act (one band from a few years ago has already had one track uploaded - which is great but i seemingly can't put the rest up)?

or is there an option to change the artist's name on uploads (which would make sense and be easy)
    because if there is i cannot find it.

any advice gratefully recieved

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can as a single user account control the Music Managers/uploads for several artists/labels. I do. It gives me a drop-down list for the artists & labels I administer on the top right and I can choose which one I'm doing stuff with in the Music Manager. If someone else from one of your previous bands has already "claimed" the band and put some music up or whathaveyou, you'll have to get them to add you as an administrator for that band from said Music Manager.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks for that penny.

13. AgentW

AgentW Member

Here's one: how do you find out who's used a tag if the tag's not been used very often and the recent history isn't recent enough?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

quick question about Last.fm

Howcome my "recently listened tracks" hasnt updated itself since friday - I expect a little delay but ive listened to hundreds of tracks since then. Do I need to adjust anything in my settings or am I just being a spaz?

15. always appropriate

always appropriate New Member

Re: quick question about Last.fm

It just does that every now and again.
    just leave it a while, it should sort be OK.

16. i am not an insect

i am not an insect New Member

Wendy James has very definitley claimed "Racine" and we have been "absorbed" by her - and i'm not sure what to do.....

........but in the meantime, till my brain catches up and i learn how to make friends and how to tag and recommend - http://www.last.fm/music/Racine/Just+Another+Man

17. AgentW

AgentW Member

Thinking aloud, I wonder whether you might get round this by tagging individual tracks rather than the band? I have no idea whether this would work.

Thoughts, anyone?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It makes me a little bit sad and disheartened that spam has set in to Last.FM a bit. Keep getting wall shouts telling me to buy the ringtones of the songs I've just listened to. Bit creepy, don't like it.

19. AgentW

AgentW Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a "wall shout"?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Messages in that shoutbox thing on your profile - http://www.last.fm/user/samsaunders and see right hand column for Sam's. I don't have a shoutbox, for reasons unknown.

21. AgentW

AgentW Member

Oh, right. Now he sees.