1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Last.FM

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by davelms, Feb 13, 2008.

1. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    Everything related to supporting Leeds musicians in the use of Last.FM... ask questions here, post tips here, etc...

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. AgentW

AgentW Member

Hmm. Seems odd. Whoever uploaded them will have had to confirm that they are either the copyright holder or have the permission of the copyright holder.

An email asking which username has the music manager privileges might be in order.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Except that Dave's got the wrong end of the stick - nobody seems to have uploaded tunes for his band, it's just that song titles are showing as having been scrobbled.

5. cavie

cavie Member

Does anyone know how you can get more than one 'buy' link next to your albums?

6. AgentW

AgentW Member

But on the plus side, nobody's uploading things without permission. Which is nice.

Mr 45: you might have a little problem when you come to put stuff up there.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's weird that someone's put just the titles up, and why. I'll try uploading the actual songs tonight and see how I get on. Ta everyone!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They haven't put the titles up. If people who have the Last.fm plugin have been playing your songs through their computer (because they've got MP3s - either legit or ripped off Myspace, or because they've got a CD of yours), it will show the titles regardless of what you have and haven't uploaded.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's all very confusing! I will conquer this terrible affliction I have with technology! :lol:

Cheers Penny!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The best way to start if you are an artist, but new to last.fm, is to sign up as a user first . Get yourself a username, download the last.fm software and install it. Get to know the way that once you are on the internet last.fm hoovers up information about all the tracks you have played on your media player.

This is the basic stuff. People play tracks on iTunes, iPods, Windows Media Player, or whatever. The Scrobbler logs them all and sends them to the central database, next to your name.

Then lists are published and totals are added up. When you play your own tracsk - they show up alongside everyone else and peopl can see how obsessive you are. You soon get to see who is listening to what and how many times. You soon notice that if your player doesn't have the correct artist names and song titles that things get messed up. You notice that you have the same name as three other bands ... and curse the fact that you didn'd deal with the problem earlier.

You start to see lists of "similar" artists and "neighbours" - these are dscovered automatically because twenty poeple are all paying the same three aritsts - so those artists are grouped as "similar" (even if they aren't) and the twenty people are grouped together as "neighbours" because it looks like you have sometihng in common. (like bad taste). It's fun.

I would recommend paying a subscription - it isn't much but you get privileges and adverts are blanked out.

Once you've got the hang of being a user, you can get further with the artist side of things more quickly and not make mistakes that are difficult to undo later. There's no rush.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also try Tuneglue. It's fun.

go to

http://audiomap.tuneglue.net/

and type in the name of any artist you like. Using last.fm data (and amazon too?) you can click on the disc that appears and see the most closely related other artists by seleecting "expand" when you do that - click on any of them, and see the links spreading out and (eventually) joining you up with Elvis.

One of the points of this for an artist is that you can see what the people who play (eg) International Trust play alongside teh IT tracks. And that process can give you clues about where your music is going to be appreciated.

12. AgentW

AgentW Member

While we're on this subject, did you know that there's a DJ in Boston, MA called Barry Scott who does compilations called The Lost 45's? The problem with this is that some people refer to these compilations as The Lost 45s, and some people refer to them as The Lost 45's. While Last.fm can spot the difference between them, it's very much down to ID3 tags being correct if the plays are going to be apportioned correctly. If you give a CD to someone and the ID3 tags are incomplete, and they put them on themselves, who's to say they'll use the right version? Some of your plays might end up on someone else's list, and theirs might end up on yours. (Your band shows up in on Google as The Lost 45s and The Lost 45's, even though you don't use the apostrophe.) So we end up with a situation where the casual punter's not quite sure what's what or who's who, and that's not ideal.

Good advice, this. If I had my time over again I'd be a bit more careful about charging in the way I did. Although it's now possible to transfer the music manager rights to another user name, which I think I'll be doing quite soon.

13. alfonse

alfonse Member

ok, so once you've signed up for royalties, what happens re payment? The reason i am asking here is that the wealth of info you lot will have picked up will save me a load of time going through it all.

Also, if you decide to start charging for a song, how do you sort that out?

Ta in advance and soz if it sounds like i'm being lazy here, but i'm abroad and sorting stuff out, y'know

ta

fonse

:shock:

14. AgentW

AgentW Member

From memory, and without all the stuff in front of me, they're paid quarterly, and you have to reach a certain amount of money before you can claim it (£5 rings a bell - which is a lot of plays). They way it's set up seems to be that the easier option is to plough it back in via advertising and radio plays.

I'm guessing in a few months you'll get a message that tells you how much you've accrued and what your options are.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm in PPL, so nothing has changed for me, but the FAQ says:
    What can I do with the royalties that accrue?
    The royalties that you accrue through our Artist Royalty Program will be paid directly into your Music Manager account. At the end of each quarter, you can use your royalties as credit to purchase any Last.fm promotional product, such as banners or Powerplays. If your total royalty balance reaches the minimum withdrawal amount of $10, £5, €7 or ¥1000 (depending on what your local currency is), then you can request a payment of your royalties from the “Royalties” section of your Music Manager account. Royalties roll over from one quarter to the next, so you will never lose out by not spending the credit or requesting payment. Last.fm will confirm how payments will be made soon, so watch this space.

What if there's a problem with a payment?
    Payments will be made to the person that you nominate in your Music Manager account. You must make sure that these details are correct. Last.fm will not be responsible for any lost payments if the details you give are incorrect. If you think that there is a problem with a payment you should email labels@last.fm.

It will take a very long time on those rates to meet the minimum amount of £5.

Charging for a song...unless you want it to link to your stuff on iTunes or emusic or your online shop or Amazon or wherever, in which case you click "I have my own shop" (http://musicmanager.last.fm/manage/buylinks) and enter your preferred link, they advise you use Indiestore.com, which is the unsigned/DIY part of 7digital. Last.fm don't have their own mechanism for selling songs either individually or as albums, they can only link to other stores.

16. jonaldo

jonaldo New Member

Simple question but last.fm and my brain are still waiting to sync: :roll:

I have a group that I want to recommend a band to. How?

17. AgentW

AgentW Member

Go to the band's page. Underneath the artist's image there's a button that says "Tell a friend about this artist" or some such. Click on that - there's an option to recommend to a group.

18. jonaldo

jonaldo New Member

Cheers bud. That's being driving me crazy for days now!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Last.Fm help please

Hi.

I uploaded 3 tracks on Last.fm over the weekend. When trying to play back the tracks all I get is a continuous static kind of noise. I uploaded Wavs, all of which were over 20mb in size. It also shows that the tracks on last around 12-17 seconds. I've emailed Last.fm about this but haven't heard anything back from them. Anyone else had the same problem?

Many thanks

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Last.Fm help please

I struggled to upload tracks at first, i up loaded Mp3's second time round seemed to work much easier

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Last.Fm help please

Cheers Craig. Will give it a go with MP3s