1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Juicing

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by BALL OF SHIT, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

I have been lacking energy recently and a friend suggested getting a juicer and drinking vegetable/fruit juice drinks.

Has anyone else done this? Does it work? If so, what's a good juicer to get and recipes?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Broady

Broady Member

Favourite Bands:
    Horrible
    Juicing seems a bit of a faff / wasteful to me, I stick to blending. Got a Blendtec one from Costco, massively powerful and 8 year warranty. Standard morning smoothie for me is if I'm cycling I'll have 2 bananas, oats, peanut butter, creatine, soy milk and ice or if I'm just going to work I'll do a veggie / fruit one with a combo of spinach, kale, celery, apple, pear, berries, mango, ginger, dates, banana, pineapple, coconut water / almond/soy milk, then usually some flax seeds all depending on what I have on stock. Best thing I've found is to keep them fairly simple, one leafy green, two fruits and then whatever liquid you feel will work best. Quick and you'll feel bob on.

4. tome

tome Active Member

I had a juicer but ended up using a blender all the time and sold the juicer at carboot.

If you're really set on juicing, I think you should get a good one that extrudes the juice rather than one like I had that smashes the fruit to smithereens.

5. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Agree with the blending...doesn't cut out all the good stuff! Also juicers are f*cking massive unless you get one of the expensive teeny ones and they take up way too much space and are a nightmare to clean. Blender all the way! More prep that using a juicer but its much more practical.

6. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Thanks for this info Broady/Tome. I didn't even know about blenders so it was worth asking as I'm not really set on anything yet.

Broady - I have a Costco card, but those Blendtec ones aren't cheap.

7. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I just buy V8. Can't be arsed with that. Messy.

8. bongobenny

I just buy V8. Can't be arsed with that. Messy.

9. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Is that the one that does bricks and meat?

10. I use a supplement called Total Nutri-greens by My Protein. Ticks all the boxes for me and cuts out the juicing/blending!

11. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Yes Benny, and V8 is full of salt (about 20% of your RDA)

That's what makes it so delicious.

12. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

I'm wondering if this is worth getting - if you don't mind, could you tell me what the discernible health impacts are and how long a pack lasts for? Thanks in advance.

13. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Is V8 a supplement? Sorry Benny I thought you were referring to this...
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI[/youtube]

14. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    No its an off the shelf vegetable juice drink. You can get it in most supermarkets in the juice aisle.

Its really good for bloody mary's, and for a hangover cure, but I wouldn't drink it for health reasons as it is packed with salt!

15. Chris Catalyst

Chris Catalyst New Member

You've changed.

(as have I... am also quite interested in this)

16. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Well I am now leaning towards getting a blender as my diet is very lacking in fruit and veg, mainly due to lack of time and working on building sites all day. So morning green smoothies look like a sensible way forward.

17. How do,

I have been using this for a good few years now and while the effects aren't maybe as obvious as some supplements, I still have it in my daily routine. My diet is pretty much spot on but it's not always that easy to tick every box when it comes to my greens, especially at work. Plus the more green goodness I can get, the better! That's pretty much why I take this every morning without fail.

For people who train and/or suffer from colds, I completely advocate having a teaspoon of L-Glutamine powder every night before bed. A friend of mine who used to compete internationally as a swimmer told me it was his team's secret ingredient! Also works great after a heavy night to see off the hangover the following morning.

18. bongobenny

I worry more about the volume of vodka I put in it than the salt.

19. Broady

Broady Member

Favourite Bands:
    Horrible
    Yeah, Glutamine is good. Recommend Fish oil tablets too if you're not taking them.

Never tried any of the veg replacement stuff, always seemed a bit shady to me, too many of those scam pyramid scheme companies like Juice Plus and Herbalife about have tainted my view on those kind of supplements. To be fair that one posted earlier does look decent.

20. bongobenny

The amount of veg my other half makes me eat is so ridiculous that I'd never need any of these things. It's completely out of hand. I really miss my old terrible diet.

21. dempseyleeds

dempseyleeds Member

Never realised how cheap the stuff on myprotein was awesome.