1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Jimmy Saville rethink.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Oldgoat

Oldgoat New Member

Even after 40 years, the memory of an episode of abuse can remain a vivid one although most people will have pushed it to the back of their mind to cope.
    It wasn't until I was talking to my OH about the whole Jimmy Savile thing that I 'remembered' an incident that happened to me when I was 12 involving the Grandfather of a good friend of mine. It shocked me when I remembered the incident which I hadn't thought about for 40 years - it also shocked my OH who I have known for 32 years and had no knowledge of the incident. I became upset when recalling it to my OH as I had suppressed the memory for so long.
    The point that I am trying to make is that even though much of the alleged abuse happened many many years ago - it is no surprise to me that the victims are only now speaking out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Grif

Grif New Member

Very well put. All the reports are stating 'alleged', as there is no substantiated evidence. IMO the TV programme was one-sided (not necessarily biased) but did not produce hard evidence.

4. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I agree the programme was very one sided, I do not really want to believe all this but there does seem to be a lot of people coming forward.

5. Derc

Derc New Member

Panorama Mon night, another TV 'trial'

6. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

His interview was just on tv, he seems to say that he was bad ? This case seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

7. Antony

Antony New Member

similar to what someone wrote in the letters column of the Yorkshire Evening Post tonight - what would Savile say if allowed to put his side? 1. That he's innocent and all these people are telling lies, or 2. Some of them are lying, and he has committed some sexual assaults, or 3. He's guilty as accused. Which is likeliest?
    Have the evil press sought to dishonour him and offered bribes to folk to come forward with accusations? Why pick on him? Conspiracy theories are intriguing. The moon landings (did they really happen?). Was 9/11 plotted by the C.I.A.? There's more plausible motivation to explain those theories than to explain why Savile, rather than other celebrities might have been picked upon in this way.

8. Antony

Antony New Member

I accidenatally repeated my last post, and the "edit" facility doesn't include "delete."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

If there was so many he probably wouldn't know if these are all telling the truth

10. Antony

Antony New Member

True. They'd all seem like past breakfasts.

11. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:hihi::hihi::clap:

12. Lemon Sole

Lemon Sole Member

The man was a sexual predator Antony. It has nothing to do with 'picking on him'.

Did the moon landings happen? Yes.
    Did the C.I.A plot 911? No.
    Was Savile a repellent and monstrous pervert. Yes.

13. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

How do you know what he was ?

14. Lemon Sole

Lemon Sole Member

Because there's an overwhelming body of evidence that says that that's exactly what he was.

15. Derc

Derc New Member

I wonder if he was abused as a kid.

16. Lemon Sole

Lemon Sole Member

Many abusers were themselves abused, but by no means all victims of abuse go on to abuse others. It's going back a heck of a long way though;we'll probably never know.

17. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I do not feel that the truth will ever be known in this case really.

18. Lord Magoon

Lord Magoon New Member

According to well read posters on this thread the "TRUTH" is already out. I wonder how many knew him personally or any of his numerous under age, dead or disabled victims? The man must have had some stamina to keep his jobs have all these sexual encounters and even manage to keep them secret. He should have been a politician.

19. findatechy

findatechy Registered User

The truth always comes out.. those that brushed it under the carpet for so many years won't feel as inclined to do so now that he's dead

20. nevben

nevben New Member

Have you given any consideration as to why it was a little heard of thing during his lifetime ? With the volume of allegations it is unreasonable to conclude it was for the fear of not being beleaved.

21. Antony

Antony New Member

None of them knew about all the others - and they'd be relying on others to come forward to have any hope of being believed. Your view from now isn't the same as theirs was then.