1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Jimmy Saville rethink.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Sep 30, 2012.

1. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Crikey! Anyone read the latest about him!!? :icon_eek:

Just askin'.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I heard on the radio that there is going to be an ITV documentary which says that he abused a bunch of school girls back in the 70's.

He always seemed a little weird but I'd never heard anything like that before. And I guess it's a shame that he isn't around now to give his side of the story.

I don't know really, guess I will watch the documentary and see what it says.

4. nevben

nevben New Member

I think we all have skeletons in the they waredrobe, but normally they usually go to the grave with us.
    Whilst if these allegations are true, which I suspect they may well be, the motive for bringing them out after his death is at best questionable.
    I understand that family, friends and the charitable trust have concerns as to how this revalation will impact on his memory and in the case of the later it's future work.
    I suspect that there must have been some form of financial benefit for those involved in this programme to be screened on ITV, during his lifetime and as this has now ended they have come forward with what they call the truth and will no doubt be paid handsomely for their input.
    What other motive could there be for them maintaining their silence until his death
    In my opinion the IPCC should look into the decision of Surrey Police to take no further action, when allegations were made and also if there were any other alleagations made, why these were not acted upon.
    If, as I suspect may well prove to be the case there is some substance to the allegations he should have been prosecuted and steps taken to ensure the safety of other vunerable groups he may come into contact with.

5. bewerley

bewerley New Member

The Police were probably of the same mindset as the Rotherham lot in the recent grooming cases.
    If young girls are going to go behind the scenes with oddball DJs or TV celebs they ought to know the risks they are running.
    It seems fashionable now to cry 'abuse' many years later but isn't it just a rite of passage?

I must watch the programme and see just how 'vulnerable' these girls were or see if they were paying the price for being young Groupies.

I think UK has the highest 'under age' laws at 16; in Europe,even Germany it is 14 and I think Spain is 12 or 13

6. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

I'd also like to know why the likes of Esther Rantzen and others who supposedly knew about it didn't speak up when it was happening. Surely to be aware of child abuse and not doing anything about it is as bad as the action itself. I'm a child of the 60's..... I've never liked him...creepy bloke!!

7. negunu

negunu New Member

Me n him were both waiting for chinese take away last year and he behaved in a lechy way to the young waitress, went right off him, acted like a dirty old man and she was so embarrassed, as was i. Young children/people should never be expected to be aware or protect themselves from sexually predatory adults as a previous post appears to suggest. Should such allegations be ignored so long as the alledged perpetrator is dead or does charity work?? Suggesting children going onto tv programmes should expect to be molested is akin to the very dated idea that women should expect to be raped if they wear a short skirt.

8. nevben

nevben New Member

I am not to sure that the above seeing "that women should expect to be raped if they wear a short skirt " is as dated as negunu beleaves.

9. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I have to agree that in2012 there is almost a paranoia about protecting children from sexual predators but when these offences were allegedly committed the public mindset was not quite the same. Even as a young boy I knew I had to watch my back, so to speak. It was called growing up, in a world of strange Priests and an ignorance of paedophilia.

The age of consent in France is 15 so I wonder if the recent schoolteacher/pupil scenario in Bordeaux would be classed as illegal?

Just reading Pete Townsends of the Who's autobiography and that 60's/70' groupie scene makes Jimmy Savile seem like a naughty uncle. I expect there is enough dirt out there to get every member of every pop band arrested.

10. Derc

Derc New Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  12. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

You need your head looking at mate if you really believe that.

13. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I don't want to believe it but ITV are really building a case against him so let's see what it reveals.
    It's just a shame that the guy is dead and can offer no defence or receive any punishment.

I look forward to the Tv prog but as its so late I will just tape it and watch it tomorrow so I may understand better what the point of the publicity is.
    Is it to besmirch a mans Celebrity lifetime
    Is it to bring under age abuse under greater scrutiny
    Is it to bring closure to traumatised victims
    Is it to criticise police and corporate protectionism of high profile offenders
    Is it to boost ratings and sell more advertising.

We shall see.

Admission : I do not have any daughters so there is my weak link.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  14. nevben

nevben New Member

I am not convinced that child abuse is more prevalent than it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's, than it seems to be today.
    It is certainly more out in the open than is has ever been before,it was possibly swept under the carpet years ago.
    I recall when I was young in the 50's/60's parents telling me not to accept sweets from strangers.
    This has remained Tattood on my brain, I often get chocolate sent to me from Belguim, some of which is given to the Kids in the street, I always however give it to the parents, as to give it directly to the kids would lead to confusion in so much that we only meet on a casual because we only see each other Infrequently.

15. Derc

Derc New Member

We'll be offering our usual, annual sweeties to mischievous night callers and carol singers. Good to see them accompanied by sensible parents.

16. bewerley

bewerley New Member

When I was a Santa I had to refuse to allow kids to sit on my knee and to make sure my hands were visible at all times. Shame really it has come to this.

17. Derc

Derc New Member

18. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Chemical castration is no big deal but I guess lawyers could make it sound like it was

19. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

ITV will do well out of it ..

20. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Nobody else will.

21. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012