1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

ISIS

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by Huddersfelt, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Huddersfelt

Huddersfelt Member

Favourite Bands:
    Arcade Fire
    This 5 part behind-the-scenes documentary on them is as brilliant as it is terrifying well worth a watch.

To think Cameron & co nearly went to war with Assad a few months ago! It beggars belief. I'm not saying Assad is good infact he's a murderous bastard but he's far, far better than these as an alternative. A stain on the face of humanity.

https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic ... e=vicefbuk

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. tome

tome Active Member

4. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    IS btw.

5. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    Love em.

6. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    utterly terrifying!

7. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    It really is, they have no presence in the skies though despite their total power which could be their downfall. What are your thoughts on the USA going in and blowing them off the planet?

8. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    Think is is dropping bombs and gunna people down really hasn't worked and probably helped to inspire these guys, but at the same point the only other way is to have a dialogue with other cultures and people, and these guys really, really, don't look like they are open to that. At all.

It's scary to think how twisted religion can become (and that goes for all forms), when i'd have thought the basis for any religion should be let's get along with one another, rather than kill each other.

But my personal preference is that the USA (or anyone else) don't storm in.

9. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

“God has no religion.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

10. mr michael

mr michael New Member

For some more background on all this malarkey I'd highly recommend Lawrence Wright's book 'The Looming Tower'.

11. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    Looks very interesting, thanks.

12. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

That does look really interesting, as does his book on Scientology.

13. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    I've ordered The Looming Tower. I will report back.

Socko do you remember that day when you pretended to be a terrorist.

That poor boy.

14. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

'The Ligging Hill Bomber'.

15. Huddersfelt

Huddersfelt Member

Favourite Bands:
    Arcade Fire
    Just seen that video of a poor journalist who was beheaded yesterday by ISIS, and the dickhead who did it has a British accent. What has the world become......

16. dempseyleeds

dempseyleeds Member

What has the world become as in a british man beheaded someone or what has the world become you sat and watched a video of it ?

17. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    FWIW UK/US pals in Saudi Arabia behead people all the time. Obviously both are horrific but yeah, we (as a country/media, not you and I) express outrage all over the place for one of them and stay comfy in bed with the others.

ISIS apparently making $3m a day on oil sales now and are in control of a land mass bigger than the UK.

18. chrisremote

chrisremote New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Interpol, Radiohead
    There is a big difference here though, in that the Saudi state chops people's heads (and hands) off in punishment for crimes commited, whereas ISIS have kidnapped and beheaded a foreign non-combatant. I do think that we're way too close to Saudi Arabia but I suppose it's like any of the West's relationships with the middle-east in that pragmatism and self-interest win the day over principles.

19. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    The only difference is the different concept of crimes worthy of death. ISIS seem to be killing people who don't believe the same version of Islam as them. In Saudi Arabia (where most of this modern extremist Islamist stuff originates), apostasy can get you killed too, without you being any kind of combatant.

20. chrisremote

chrisremote New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Interpol, Radiohead
    Fair comment. What a mess the whole region has become.

21. Darren Major

Darren Major New Member

Favourite Bands:
    deacon blue
    You have to laugh at lefty liberals. On the one hand you're against colonialism and intrusion, the idea of Western nations attempting to apply political pressure on a sovereign nation - especially when brown people are the indigenous. After all, to justify such an act would be to advocate the molestation of 'their' self determining rights, culture, way of life and democratic decision making. And lest we forget, the left adore democracy, bigotry disguised as culture, & self determination (especially for brown people).

However, on the other hand the student wanker left are tired of first world nations like the UK, mollycoddling these 'nasty' brown, covered in oil leaders, whether democratically elected or not, & those 'backward' theocratic policy makers, (as well as their many supporters) - often resulting in apostasy executions, and little in the way of rights for women, gays, non-believers (Kuffar) and other transgressors.

So...to conclude....you're against colonialism - but you're against self determination, too?
    lol.