1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Immersion heater help please!!

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by Stardust, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Ah, you tradesmen types are comical...
    But I'd best leave it there lest I start moving into the realms of trolling. ;)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

Allen - I agree with you all the way, but (there's always a but!), the poster Hairyloon did say "that I can do it up to a point... and I can recognise that point before I cross it.". I can change a light bulb, mend plugs, wire up hi-fi sets etc., but I wold not call, myself am electrician by any means. Like he says, I know my limits!
    :nod::nod:

4. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I can do many things in my own house no problem.

The difference is when you go and do it for a customer.

You need to have the correct qualifications and insurances.

5. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Thank you Gordon.

6. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I'm all sorted hopefully thanks everyone.

A plumber came out today and he is ordering our new cylinder and heater tomorrow so hopefully should have it all sorted for early next week :)

7. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Seems you were wrong and a new cylinder was needed after all,

8. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

That's great news ..

9. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

The cylinder was boxed in but once inside even I could see it would need replacing, it was ancient! lol. A total wreck. I was worried about someone trying to rip me off but it was totally clear that a whole new cylinder was needed.

10. Derc

Derc New Member

Glad you're finally sorted Stardust, not a good start to moving in. I almost dare'nt mention that the old cylinder has a scrap value if it's copper.

11. Gordon Glazebrook

Looks right mess to me and right next to an electrical circuit!
    I'm neither a plumber or an electrician but even I wouldn't allow one to do that in my house.
    :hey::hey::hey:

12. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

i went to a boiler today that had been fitted very badly, it had been fitted over the top of the main consumer unit and was leaking, was a right mess.
    was about 100mm from boiler ,pipes nearly touching.

13. Gordon Glazebrook

Agreed Allen, and if I had someone to do work in my house I would make sure they had the right documentation.

:nod::nod:

14. Gordon Glazebrook

Dangerous in the extreme I would say! Trouble is there are many who call themselves plumbers or electricians who are not qualified, and "play at it"!!
    What you say is an example of one like that!

15. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

this was one of the worsed jobs i have ever seen, i refused to work on it, i did ask the customer who had fitted like that but he wouldn't comment.

16. Derc

Derc New Member

Lives are needlessly lost to Co2 poisoning, electrocution, fires and explosions due to the public saving a few bob by allowing an untrained 'bodger' to carry out the work.

17. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

The house was amazing, the cars where amazing... Some people just just have a clue.

18. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

My hubby has this problem all the time. Having to put right what others think they are expert at. He condemned a fire last week and even the gas safe inspector was involved it was that bad. Can never understand why you would let unqualified and unregistered people work on your property.

19. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

The waste has been connected the wrong way round so theres no trap seal