1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Immersion heater help please!!

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by Stardust, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I think we have someone on here who does plumbing and heating, looking for some help please.

Need some quotes for a new immersion heater tank plus fitting / labour costs.

Just bought our new house and it has immersion heater. Just got back from our holidays and seems something has bust the bottom of the tank and it has leaked all the way through in to our kitchen, with some lovely damage to the kitchen ceiling on it's way through!

Obviously looking to get fixed as soon as possible so if anyone on here is in the business can you give me a quote please, or if anyone has any idea of how much this is going to set us back I would love to get an idea of how much I will be paying. Thanks!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Oh and insurance company will cover repair to ceiling but not any immersion heater or fitting costs apparently!!

4. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

You may be thinking of our Moderator Allen Stardust.
    He does central heating but maybe if he can't help you he will "know a man who can"!

5. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Thanks I PM'd him. It was Allen I was thinking of!

6. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

Let me know if you need any help if Allen can't. My husband is a plumber and gas engineer....they are like buses on here....also can bet they wont turn up on time either!!

7. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I am booked up at the moment for about 2 weeks ,just got home now. Might be better to get a plumber. Thanks for the offer.

8. Rick

Rick Member

Can you see where the water has been coming out? I'm assuming it's a cylinder type.

It would be unusual for the copper cylinder to leak, maybe one of the fittings. Any of the individual fittings (heater element etc) aren't particularly expensive, and I'd guess to replace would reasonably be 1 to 2 hours.

If you get any quotes run it by us and we can see if it sounds OK. Ask what needs replacing, and what their hourly rates are. If they sound at all evasive and don't give straight answers they are probably chancing it.

We recently had a plumber recommended and I can pass on his details via PM if you want. He only connected a gas cooker for us but seemed like an honest guy and has been in business for a long time.

9. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I ain't a plumber, but for the most part, plumbing is not particularly difficult...
    If you're stuck for a plumber, feel free to give me a shout.

And before I get lynched by all the plumbers on the board, I'm not meaning to suggest that it is not a skilled trade, only that I can do it up to a point... and I can recognise that point before I cross it.

10. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Nothing is difficult if you know what your doing, I have been to lots over the years where people doing DIY have made a right mess.
    My advice on this job is to get somebody that knows what there doing.

11. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

By which you are saying you think that I don't...

12. Derc

Derc New Member

Allen is giving good advice based on years of exprience, how can that ruffle your diy feathers? Is it possible to earn a living by diy-ing or odd jobbing?

13. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

My feathers are unruffled.
    Only if your lifestyle is suitably modest.

14. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

The thing is, I have had to rectify enough messes installed by so called professionals.
    See if you can spot what is wrong with this...

15. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

My advice is clear, this is a job for a professional in my opinion.

16. Derc

Derc New Member

Even I know water and electrics don't mix, that's been done by a tosser diyer with no style what so ever. You could train a chimp to spot that.

17. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

How did you get under my sink?

18. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

No, that was a "professional" installer.
    But look again. See if you can spot what else is wrong...

19. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

If it is to replace a boiler, then I am inclined to agree.
    However:
    seems a little unlikely to me, so I suspect a misdiagnosis...

20. Derc

Derc New Member

Can't be assed mate, I've had my own trade, apprentice trained, day college release and night school blah etc. What actual trade did you learn?

21. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I have been doing heating for 24 years my advice is to get a professional.

How long have you been doing heating ? How many cylinders have you fitted ?

I guess your part p etc is upto date as well for the elec,s ?

Also I would guess your public liability insurance is upto date and covers you for the above work.

My opinion is there are too many people playing at plumbing, most haven't got a clue about any reg,s.
    As long as it works it must be ok...!
    I do not know anything about you and don't know if you would be competent or not.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013