1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

I think I saw a Red Kite flying over Crossgates

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrTempleDene, Mar 9, 2011.

1. LIZIE BEE

LIZIE BEE New Member

probably a magic lantern?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

???????????

4. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Thought you would have been up on the magic lantern sort of thing Oldhenwife!

5. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I might not be the worlds greatest expert on bird spotting, but I can tell the difference between a bird and a "magic lantern"

6. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Oh I remember magic lanterns well but can't understand what they have to do with this thread.

7. Derc

Derc New Member

So pigs can fly?

8. closedaccount1

closedaccount1 New Member

Either that or someone's invented a pork tree.

9. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Not a pork tree, an 'ambush.

10. Derc

Derc New Member

:D :D Hope no one chops it down

11. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

12. philess

philess New Member

I live in the Fearnville area and red kites are a common sight (oddly enough mostly on Sundays). Harewood started a red kite breeding program a few years ago and released some into the wild around Eccup reservoir. As their "hunting" range (they are scavengers) is anything up to 15 miles it should not be surprising to see them over any area of Leeds, indeed I have heard reports of them having been seen scavenging in the city centre.

13. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Some interesting Red Kite factoids there philess, thanks.:icon_smile:

Where do you live the rest of the week?

14. Lemon Sole

Lemon Sole Member

Up until the end of June I have seen red kites over Harehills on an almost daily basis, but none since then - any ideas?

15. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

I saw the red kite over Harehills this morning. haven't seen the Crossgates one for ages unless it's the same bird....

16. netty

netty New Member

You did! There are several in the north of the city, one regularly flies over Harehills, have seen two regularly over Roundhay and also seen one flying low over Asda at Killingbeck. Sometimes they are so low you can see the feathers rippling in the wind-a truly awesome sight. If you go to Harewood they fly very very low over the bird garden and you can often see several flying round the trees on the estate.

17. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Not Leeds, but very sad anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19269992

18. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Good old fashioned ignorant gamekeeping no doubt. As long as the cash crop pheasant are OK who gives a toss about real wild birds eh? Should be found and jailed, along with the landowner who hired the ****.

19. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Don't remember writing ****, I thought I wrote ****.

20. Joe

Joe El Duderino

You'll find that we have a swear filter here due to it being a family forum.

21. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Yes I know. Just being humorus.