1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

I think I saw a Red Kite flying over Crossgates

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrTempleDene, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

it was a bird of prey for sure, 3-4 foot wingspan and a distinctive V shaped tail, the only UK bird of prey that I can find that matches what I saw is the Red Kite

But would I see one in Leeds? seems a bit odd?

Maybe it escaped from Temple Newsam

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

They have been spotted in Meanwood oo, they are coming over from the Harewood Estate.

4. MrTempleDene

oh cool, so I didn't dream it!

5. banjo banjo

banjo banjo New Member

Here at Rawdon also, close to the abatoir.

6. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Lots of space around Cross Gates for a kite to live. They are fascinating birds.

7. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

We've seen red kites over Seacroft, where the windmill is, Bramhope, Kirkstall, Pool, Otley and Moortown.We were once going past Weardley(sp?) and there five of them swooping down onto some roadkill in turns, then back up and down again, it was amazing to see :nod:

8. bremner8

bremner8 New Member

Despite their huge wingspan the birds body is only tiny. That is why it relies on carrion. Farmers used to shoot it as they thought it was actually hunting live animals......that was their excuse anyway.

9. MrTempleDene

There must be quite a few of them on the Harewood estate then.

10. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

11. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

One of their common names (shared with other birds) is '****e hawk'. The are still killed by people who think that they're raptors but they mostly feed on carrion rather than live prey.
    Yorkshire water set up a breeding site at Eccup reservoir some years ago, that's why we see them over Leeds.
    A month ago I went to the Red Kite centre in Tregaron, Wales, where they re-introduced red kites years ago, it's small but excellent. And close to Llanddewi Brefi ...
    http://www.brynheulog.com/tregaron_red_kite_centre.html
    There, a video showed the history of their re-introduction and how volunteers man feeding sites. They're seen frequently for many miles locally, our daughter has a farm about ten miles away and they fly over there. She has no problems with them but buzzards and especially jackdaws frequently take chicks and eggs even from inside coops.
    Red kites are still threatened and need care, which is a pity because they are beautiful and harmless birds.

12. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

Stunning bird, I used to dream about seeing one as a young kid/ornithologist.

Even put an entry on them in How Leeds Changed The World.....soz for flogging, but I did.

They'll keep spreading, used to be v common in uk town and cities, cleaning up rotting food. Their persecution to near extinction was really bad and ignorant. Their lower legs are too weak to kill very much so they scavenge and eat a lot of worms.

13. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

I hope they do spread but in Wales the volunteers have to be very vigilant about them, they're still being persecuted and many drastic remedies are tried to prevent egg stealing, for instance.
    Magpies are beautiful too but far more of a threat to other bird life :-(
    How do we find How Leeds Changed the World?

14. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

15. closedaccount1

closedaccount1 New Member

If it's anything like Bucks then we'll be seeing hundreds of them over Leeds soon. They released a few pairs a few years ago on the Dashwood estate (I think) in Bucks. I saw the first one in High Wycombe about 3 or 4 years ago. Now almost everywhere you go in Bucks and up into Oxon you'll see at least one Red Kite if you look up. I've seen 18 at a time before...

They are beautiful birds. I just love the way they hover - making adjustments with tiny movements of their tail feathers. Looking forward to spotting my first one in Leeds.

16. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Now almost everywhere you go in Bucks and up into Oxon you'll see at least one Red Kite if you look up.
    I've never seen any in Bucks and Oxon and I look up a good deal of the time, I enjoy seeing military aircraft. Not saying that you don't, Ollie, but it's a very general statement.
    The aircraft, by the way, don't bother the kites, at least the Tornadoes which train in our daughter's valley don't. They scare nothing.
    The kites which were imported into Yorkshire have been breeding for twelve years.

17. closedaccount1

OK, perhaps I should have specified the actual area where I've seen loads. It's the area enclosing High Wycombe, Chinnor and the M40 near those. I can't remember the last time I couldn't see one when I've been around there.

18. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

It's the area enclosing High Wycombe, Chinnor and the M40 near those
    Hmm, that's quite a small area :)
    I admit that it's a long time (15 years) since I was in High Wycombe - baby son did his MA there and I often used to stay with beekeeping friends), stayed with quite a few in Oxfordshire too but that was more than four years ago. I'll ask them.

19. halliclone

halliclone New Member

They're all over the place down there duck, click here for a gander.:icon_smile:

20. closedaccount1

Well that's why you haven't seen them then. As I said, it was only 3 or 4 years ago I saw the first one. It's only the last couple of years when they've been everywhere.

21. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Everywhere's a Big Place ...