1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

I have just joined

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by Matt79, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Matt79

Matt79 New Member

Hi, I am trying to find out more about old terraced streets in Leeds. I am not from West Yorkshire and I am not familiar with all of Leeds, although the parts I have seen look theyhave some real history - I love the red brick terraces. I am from the Black Country area and there are no houses like these in my area.

I graduated in Media and I have a keen interest in television history - I have been researching the Yorkshire Television schools series How We Used To Live and I am keen on asking Leeds residents about particular locations.

I have identified a number of the locations as Leed (in particular Headingley in the 1954-1970 How We Used To Live series), although there is one particular street in an earlier series I am unsure about. My post regarding the street will follow later.

Cheers,

Matt

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Derc

Derc New Member

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Try looking in the suggestions thread, or try Leodis.

http://www.leodis.net/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Hello Matt, welcome to the forum.

5. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

"Black Country" eh Matt. When you require a Hot drink do you say KIpper Tie please. I too have just joined Leeds Forum and I think it is great. Cheers Ah Kid.

6. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

welcome on board Matt

7. Matt79

Matt79 New Member

Thanks for your messages. Leodis could be quite a good idea.

8. Matt79

Matt79 New Member

:icon_smile:

9. bewerley

bewerley New Member

10. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Knew it well, How come you did not live in the Street or go to the School named after you and your Family ?.

11. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I did go to Bewerley street skool. Passed my 11 plus there.

12. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

and home to the Kirklands within minutes, you lucky Lad. i had to go from the Gipton Estate on a Tram / Bus to Mt. St. Marys, complete journey took about an hour in those days.

13. Matt79

Matt79 New Member

A fantastic shot - cheers for the link. I like the old sash windows on the houses. I have never noticed any houses with windows like this in Leeds, all the terraces I have seen are the more typical red brick ones.

Would all houses of this style have now been demolished?

14. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Hi Matt welcome to Leeds Forum.

15. Rover

Rover Member

When I was an apprentice carpenter in the late 40's I replaced the cords on hundreds of sash windows in the Bramley and Armley district. Another money maker for my boss was when heavy snow brought down the wood gutters. If the property owner didn't contact us quickly. the tenant would have already cut up the downed gutter for firewood. Matt79, there are still many homes of this style.