1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How much for a fence?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I am building and fitting a fence, for a local landlord, who is also a friend.
    I havnt a clue how much to ask for.
    There is a castellated wall, with fence panels in the gaps. The fence panels measure around 41" x 5 foot wide, I am making and fitting 4 panels, one is slightly larger.
    I have also got to fix a piece of wood to the wall, as the entire fence and fixings are rotten. Can bespoke panels be bought, to compare cost? I will be painting them as well, which is not easy when its raining 24/7 ;)
    So far I have spent around £40, but I still need some more wood; because I was only fitting 3 panels to start with.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

If I was any good at pricing jobs, I'd be a millionaire by now... :(

4. tome

tome Active Member

Gotta charge at least living wage rate for your time. Even though it's sorta mates' rates your friend is running a business. Bespoke panels can't be bought because by their nature they are unique items made to measure, (how long is a piece of string).

Fairest way is to sell your labour and provide a timesheet for your hours and add on top of that receipts for materials and expenses.

5. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

A neighbour just told me that you can get panels made to size, £35 on the ring road, not sure if that price is right, but should be near. And then you have that cost of fitting.

6. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I recommend to anyone building a fence to use either concrete posts or "Metpost" type post holders.
    If you concrete in wooden posts then they will one day rot, and you've then got big lumps of concrete in the ground exactly where you want to put the replacement posts...

Croggy likes this.
  7. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

It seems large fence panels can be quite cheap, from around £18

There is also the cost of fixing them to the wall; easy if you have those concrete posts.

8. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I think the best way to price jobs like that is materials plus labour costs. You should give yourself an hourly rate and just charge based on how long it takes.

9. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I like to do a good job, the Scotsman I was doing it for wanted the cheapest job; I even painted it, but he still got a cheap fence.
    I did other stuff too, an hour here and there, probably earned less than the minimum wage ;)

10. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Sorry I thought you were looking for someone to move some dodgy gear

11. tome

tome Active Member

I hope that seven hills doesn't take a fence.

12. tome

tome Active Member

I said, "take a fence" Boom boom!