1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How Leeds Changed the World

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by ELM 65, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ELM 65

ELM 65 New Member

I'm new on this forum but hope I'm not offending anyone by blatantly pushing my mate Mick Mc.Canns book- "How Leeds Changed the World," I just thought a book about Leeds belongs on a forum about Leeds and it was a good subject for a first post. It's available on Amazon & in Waterstones & HMV in Leeds. Basically it's a quirky encyclopedia of Leeds written in an informal way & is a very good read. It's Micks third book, the first was 'Coming Out as a Bowie Fan in Leeds, Yorkshire England the second Nailed. All three are on Armley Press.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. grafter

grafter New Member

hi welcome to the forum ELM
    You forgot to mention the price. Oh and the discount!

You related to ELO? Any tickets?

4. ELM 65

ELM 65 New Member

Sorry the price is a tenner, it's sold pretty well on run up to xmas and it should be on Calendar or Look North in January (cant remember which) Can't help you with discount, he's a mate, I'm not his manager! But it's self published and written by a born and bred Leeds lad and genuinley is something different than the usual generic, rehashed guide books released by major publishers by authors with no real feeling for our city.

The easiest way for me to describe this book is to quote the product description on Amazon:

"Guess which British city spawned the current three most successful high street chains in the UK?

"The world's first functioning locomotive, when you erase pencil with a rubber, the mapping of your DNA, the world's first disco, Britain's first flying plane and kidney dialysis, lads mags, Chick Lit, the clinical thermometer, every time you have a can of pop, the telescopic sight, the world's most prolific stuntman, the world's first iron framed building - the 'grandfather of skyscrapers', Occupational Medicine, our ability to calculate the size and distance of planets, all are rooted in Leeds.

"Many people know that adopted son of Leeds Louis Le Prince filmed the world's first moving pictures in Leeds, but what about the Leeds lad who created the world's second film using mill technology? If money-men hadn't thought he was crazy and his ideas of films 'wild and ridiculous' he could have been the first by some way.

"I know it's part of our Leedsness to keep our feet on the ground, not show off, get ideas above our station or blow our own trumpet but I'm blowing our trumpet hard here. I'm blowing it loud and proud."

And as for ELO, I'd sooner turn to stone than listen to 'em!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Sounds like a good book Mick, sorry, ELM! Everyone enjoys a good bit of fiction. Why not give your 'mate's' book a review on Peachy's "What are you reading now?" thread! Good luck.:icon_smile::icon_wink:

6. *Peachy*

*Peachy* New Member

Good idea re the review!

7. ELM 65

ELM 65 New Member

A bit confused by halliclones reply. I'm the authors mate, trying to give him a hand promoting his book. The clue was in the 'hope I'm not offending anyone by blatantly pushing my mate Mick Mc.Canns book' and also 'Can't help you with discount, he's a mate, I'm not his manager!'
    Wasn't aware of the "what are you reading now page," I'll try to knock a review up in the next few days.

8. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Don't worry too much about Halliclone, sometimes the moon is in the wrong cycle for him.:D

9. halliclone

halliclone New Member

That would be great, "authors mate"! nudge, nudge, :icon_wink:, :icon_wink:

10. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Ha ha! I used to be a werewolf but I'm all right now-ooooo! :icon_lol:

11. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

Right, I'm the fella who put the book out, ELM 65 really is a mate ....honest :icon_wink: I bet adimn could check.

Think he thought a general Leeds forum might be interested in a book about the achievements of the city....daft aipeth. Cheers for trying J.

Anyway here's some proper flogging.

On Calendar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTA0kveT00

Current Leeds Guide:

http://www.leedsguide.co.uk/review/feature/leeds-the-city-that-changed-the-world/17858

http://www.guardian.co.uk/leeds/201...how-leeds-changed-the-world#start-of-comments

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Author-writes-How-Leeds-Changed.6655682.jp

Radio Leeds, pretty much from the beginning and you can skip Disco Inferno if you want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00d9140/Andrew_Edwards_31_01_2011

http://www.eastleedsmag.net/issue/010/hlctw.html

The northern editor of the Guardian, at bottom, under 'Martin Wainwright recommends:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2...ncashire?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments

Unfortunately Leeds Student and Big Issue don't put them online, Yorkshire Post review next couple of weeks, On Yorkshire mag this month.

Thanks you for your time, we appreciate your patience, your call is important to us.

12. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

While I'm on hold I've just added the book to my amazon wish list, also added Nailed, which looks interesting. Really based on a true story?

13. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

Thank you for holding, you are third in the queque.

Thanks Mr Dene, much appreciated.

Nailed, yeh all the stuff about/around being arrested by CID over the 5 year old SIM and all our suspicions as to why are true - I went on Rad 4 (there's a link somewhere) so it must be true. But from a certain point (you'll know when) it goes off into fiction with truth mixed in.

It was an easy write cos it was all there, it'd just happened, I could just ask mi'wife what she was thinking, etc and took about 6 weeks, only writing after work. This latest one was more like 18 months full time.

Anyway if you get either. I hope you enjoy it.

14. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Well I just got given "Nailed" for my valentines gift,

I'll be reading that on my journey back to Leeds on Wednesday (don't worry, I'm not driving) and I'll let you know what I think of it.

15. emalouc

emalouc New Member

Hi,

I am extremely interested in arranging an event with Mick MCcann at The University of Leeds

Have you got a contact email where I may be able to send you some further information on the event?

Thanks a lot

Emma

16. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

Emma, I've pm'd you.

17. emalouc

emalouc New Member

thanks a lot, i can't access it yet because I have not posted 5 posts so i'll do those now :D

18. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

Sorry MrTempleDene missed this. Thanks very much.

I hope you enjoyed it......anyway y'know where I am if you need a refund. :icon_eek:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  19. Mick McCann

Mick McCann New Member

20. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Hmm. I don't listen to Radio Leeds, or Aire, watch any tv at all, read any newspaper, or Student or Big Issue - I live under a stone, obviously.

But I bet I know more than most about our city.