1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

HOW FO YOU A PRESS PACK OVER EMAIL-I CAN ONLY SEND 10MB MAX

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by The Mulster, Aug 11, 2009.

1. The Mulster

The Mulster New Member

I'VE BEEN TOLD to USE A ZIP AS I NEED TO SEND THE FOLLOWING IN UNDER 10MB: -

PRESS RELEASE
    PHOTO
    2 x MP3

CAN ANYONE HELP?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think anyone would want you to send a 10MB file to their email address anyway!

And unless the songs are really long, you should be well under 10MB.

Upload the press kit somewhere else on the internet and just add a link to the email so that they can choose to download it or not. Sending files via email really annoys people if they're not expecting it

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reverbnation provide an EPK service. Free trial for a month then just a few dollars a month. Really well designed and trackable. It will tell you if it's been viewed and if any songs have been downloaded. It links itself to any songs which you uploaded to the site so the EPK itself is only e-mail size. Hope that helps

5. billyblister

billyblister New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Jesus Lizard
    you should try going to a site like www.yousendit.com or www.sendspace.com upload you zipped press pack on that then send a lovely email to who ever it is your sending it too with the link to your file which then they can download at there leasure. from all the people i asked about this sort of thing when we did though, they all said you can't really beat sending hard copies out to people, that may not be true but it was what i was advised. good luck with it.

6. TestToneAndy

TestToneAndy New Member

ZIP won't squish MP3s or JPEGs very much as they're already compressed, so do the following if you can:

• Re-encode your songs at 128kbps to make them compact but still listenable quality.
    • Resize your pics so they're smaller and/or export at a lower JPEG quality to save space here.
    • Save your press release as a PDF to give a smaller file size than a word document (or similar).

Linking an EPK may be an option, but if they've specifically asked for you to submit as a ZIP file then I'd do that as a priority.

Edit:
    Also a good option!

7. The Mulster

The Mulster New Member

Cheers guys, some good info there.

Might be a good thread for Musician Resources?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

send the mp3's via yousendit.com, save the bio and photos in a PDF file.

I work at Starharbour Records and we receive a lot of demos, if files are zipped, it takes longer and on busy days they can sometimes get skipped!

Hope this helps

Cuci
    http://www.starharbourrecords.co.uk

9. performingchimp

performingchimp New Member

Your band must have a website? Just upload it to there, add a password to the page if you like. If not, this is a great reason to get some webspace!

DO NOT use a PDF file, as advised above. THis is INCREDIBLY annoying for promoters/press. They can't cut and paste the text sometimes, let alone the graphics. Same is true with hard copies.

Bio should be .doc or just text in the email, pictures should be highest possible resolution (i.e. massive) jpegs.

Jpegs and mp3s should be uploaded to a webpage, and linked in the email.

As someone already said, sending large jpegs and songs in an email will make it too large to send usually, and using a zip file will not reduce the size of these kinds of files by anywhere near enough. Whoever told you that is talking poopies.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recommend Yousendit, but as mentioned - I think a better bet would be to condense your press pack.
    There's a good section in the musician's guide to world domination about creating good press packs which is worth a read.

11. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    Re: HOW FO YOU A PRESS PACK OVER EMAIL-I CAN ONLY SEND 10MB

yeah anything over 1mb would be a no no

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Join bandcamp.com and upload you music to that and then add a link to your press pack naming the 2 songs you would prefer them to listen to. I am sure that there are other websites you could also use, soundcloud springs to mind. I like bandcamp though.

Thats how I do it any way.

13. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

My response to press packs is

The Yalla Yallas are a Punk Rock n Roll group from Leeds. Further information can be found at http://www.theyallayallas.com

-

Easy, they go to your site and hear your music, see your pics and videos, and anything else you put on there ... Job Done

They either book you or they don't ... No begging required

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you can't be bothered to write more than that then a lot of promoters, labels, magazines etc etc probably won't be bothered to click.