1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How do you think outsiders view Leeds?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

You could still do all those things, whips and tops and skipping ropes are still available, as is chalk for hop scotch. It's not all computer games - but you're sitting at a computer reading this, go to leeds freegle and offer it so that you have time for kick can and the rest.

Go to a local lake or the beck (we have plenty of both in Leeds) with a net and jam jar to catch minnows and sticklebacks. Yes, you'd get muddy but your 60s short skirts would be out of the way. There are buses to such places, you don't need a car (most people didn't have them in the 60s). You could become an instructor for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, it's still going.

Mary

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. brenmac

brenmac New Member

i wish i could play kick out can and hop scotch...im 66.i use my computer to make home made card,family researchi dont use it to play games.i no longer live in leeds.i also do volenteer work.i help with my grandchildren and care for a sick husband.i live in the country we have no bus service.so i live a busy life and use the computer when im not busy brenda xxx

4. Derc

Derc New Member

I couldn't help smiling at the mental picture I got, of a bunch of us 'oldies' playing those games you mentioned :icon_smile: Maybe crown green bowling is an answer
    in summer time. We probably don't care about the original question, as we love it anyway. I know two of us keep hens and Brenda, with you living in the country side, I wondered if you kept them. ? They are so relaxing to watch and put life, for their keepers, in perspective. :icon_smile:

5. brenmac

brenmac New Member

derc,i was a housekeeper on a large private land estate.i lived in a tied cottage until i retired3 years ago.we kept hens but no cockrels.now im in a cottage near a busy main road its like living at the side of the m6 lol.we had road island reds.the eggs were lovely the yokes yellow as they were corn fed.my grandchildren loved going for there breakfast egg.we used tofeed them on layers mash toobut now were older and live by open fields where fox,s are.my hubby not too good.brenda xxx

6. Malky

Malky New Member

Sounds like you lived the life.

7. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Being 66 doesn't stop you if you think you think the 60s were better than today. I'm 72 and do it.

Mary

8. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Oh no! That's for old folk!!!

Mary

9. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

I keep hens, not Rhode island Reds but bantam Croad Langshans from Tempelnewsam Home farm. But when our grandchildren come (we have ten, from 26 and married to five) they assume that we'll play hopscotch and the like with them. And we do.

Spouse (also 72) had a total knee replacement last Saturday but as soon as he can walk without sticks and has had a second (the surgeon said it was desirable so that he'd have straight legs) we'll both be climbing, kicking, hopping, jumping, climbing and the rest.

And yet we DON'T think that the 50s and 60s were better than today, which is how this thread began.

Mary

10. brenmac

brenmac New Member

mary,you sound such a jolly person.but i have ostio in my hip and i have a cyst in my hip socket i also have it bad in my shoulder,i have sleepless nights with iti was up till 3 this morning with the pain.but because im 66 the surgeon said he would like to leave replacement untill im older as they seem to last 10 years.i aso have angina..my hubby has pernitious anemia and lung disorder,plural plauque.i still loved my childhood and have very happy fond memories.i cherish them.brenda xxx

11. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

But surley when your older Brenda, it will take more time to heal, with perhaps greater possibility for complication, and you will maybe not able to enjoy the freedome the op will have given you. Sometimes wonder about decisions like that, my gran had one of the first hip replacements ever in the UK, they said it might last 120 years or so, it was still working 30 years later.

12. JohnL

JohnL New Member

I am an outsider from the South.
    I have found most Leeds people have accepted me and joke about it.
    Having travelled all over the world (almost) I was accepted everywhere.
    Leeds was never a challenge

13. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

I agree some of these comments can be aimed at many cities or big towns in the UK, not just Leeds.

I have some experience of what outsiders think and I'll try and list them, for what it's worth.

Here in the north east, older men in particular hark back to the days when LUFC were known as Dirty Leeds, and they have a negative opinion of the city for that reason. Which is quite narrow-minded of them. The younger people however love going to Leeds for hen or stag nights, which is ironic really when you see the amount of Yorkshire folk who've travelled up to Newcastle or Whitley Bay for the same reason!

In the same vein, there are shopping coach trips to take people to Leeds, and they generally say they are going to the Market and Harvey Nicks. And passing them no doubt on the motorway are the Leeds folk en route to the Metrocentre.

For me personally, I prefer where I am now. Leeds is just no longer the place I grew up in. I'm struggling to find a word but the best way I can describe it is that it's become more like an impersonal, London type city. With the demise of the traditional style housing went the communities they contained [I realise this can be said of many cities, but I think it's particularly pronounced in Leeds]. I came back to live in Leeds for a couple of years about six years ago, but found myself scooting back to the north east. I'd been away too long and in that time the place had changed too much.

I'd place a lot of the blame on the reorganisation of local councils way back, and the ridiculous back and forth with county councils and the like ever since. Leeds is just too big to manage as it is now.

14. aej1

aej1 Active Member

I remember hopscotch and may I and British bulldogs, whip and tops and this year we got our grandaughter one pressie which was a skipping rope and her words were " I love it love can I go and skip please
    Ann

15. aej1

aej1 Active Member

Yes Leeds is getting like that all the time. Half the outside market has gone as been priced out and the place is changing all the time and not always for the best. People still flock here for the shops but not for the markets anymore which is really sad

16. Malky

Malky New Member

Pompous, Pretentious, arrogant, ostentatious, snobbish, haughty ……….. No best just stick with impersonal …. Don’t want to get my botty slapped again do I. :icon_wink:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  17. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

Are those adjectives aimed at me...or at London? Or at Leeds?

I wouldn't have described either city as pompous, snobbish or haughty...

18. Malky

Malky New Member

You were struggling to find the word so I posted a few ……. I always try to help a fellow poster. :biggrin:

19. Malky

Malky New Member

Lets not forget the question, How do you think outsiders view Leeds?……. Don’t take anything personally.

I see that you omitted pretentious and arrogant does that mean they are still to be considered.

20. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

Okay...so which city suggested those words to you? London or Leeds or both? As you'll have understood I was thinking about why Leeds reminds me of the capital. Impersonal is how I can best describe it.

21. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

I consciously omitted those words, but only because I was dismissing the other words as in no way descriptive of either city.

I have heard Leeds people describe their own city [or rather the Council, developers, planners, retailers, educators, employers etc] as pretentious and/or arrogant. And I've heard Leeds described as such particularly by people in the other cities and large towns of Yorkshire.

In other words, I can't dispute that this is how some outsiders see Leeds, to relate it back to the original question.