1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How do you think outsiders view Leeds?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Why don't they get enough sun?

Incidentally, you don't need actual sunlight to jeep you healthy, just being in daylight is enough.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Ferdy

Ferdy New Member

I was born, went to school and worked for some time in Leeds. About a year ago I moved to Sheffield for work as my job in Leeds came to an end, thinking I would hate it there, but it has been the opposite. Sheffield is like Leeds was 20 or 30 years ago, when Leeds people were normal and friendly, they would hold doors open for you, smile at you in shops, chat to you every now and then on the bus, say thank you to you, and so on. I'm sure the middle aged people on this forum know the Leeds I am talking about.
    I try to avoid going to Leeds nowadays and make a point of avoiding town when I do. I don't go there because I find it scary, I think the atmosphere in the city centre nowadays is unfriendly and rude, even intimidating. I find service in shops to be mostly awful, most young people in Leeds have no manners, people barge past each other in shops or in the street, there is no eye contact at all, the words "please", "thank you" and "excuse me" no longer seem to exist unless the person in question is over 30 or even 40. I think there is a real lack of interesting things going on in Leeds, it has become overly fashion conscious and unless you like poncy bars and restaurants there is little on offer. I would say Leeds mostly doesn't feel like my home town anymore.

4. 5iron2

5iron2 New Member

I go to both Sheffield and Leeds quite regularly, and I find they are just about the same.

Mainly the younger generation are very rude and inconsiderate, think you should get out of their way or don't even notice you as they walk along with there phone glued to there ear. Young females are by far the worst.

That aside I find both cities to be brilliant.

5. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

I rarely go to Sheffield but I find that in Leeds centre things haven't changed in the last sixty years - some people (young and old) are polite, some are not. Yes, many young (and older) people seem welded to their phones but not all and still many ARE considerate.

There ARE differences between young men and young women but on the whole they are polite. I don't like to be approached by staff in shops, I prefer to approach them and not be embarrassed by someone asking if I'm 'alright there'. But I rarely go inside 'fashion' shops because of the loud noise - 'music' it's called.

What does surprise me is that most people in the streets seem to be eating or drinking. Three meals a day has no meaning, 'grazing' is the thing I'm told. It's not for me, it's unsociable, but if people want to miss out on sociability it's not my problem. When young people come here (lots of grandchildren and their friends) they abide by our traditions and they're very happy to do so.

But I'm not happy to abide by theirs ... too old to change I suppose. We can't expect things to stay as they are, if we did we'd all still be in our prams.

Mary

6. Bushbaby

Bushbaby New Member

I think Leeds is the most vibrant city in the UK, beats Manchester n Birmingham hands down in my opinion. The people are friendly, we have great bars, pubs, clubs and restaurants-many to match London, and we should be rightly proud of it. The City centre has blossomed beyond recognition in the last 10yrs and is a match for anywhere. I know there are a few things which still need to be addressed but overall I am very proud of my City and very proud to admit where I come from. Any Southerners who think we still race whippets and wear flat hats n clogs need to come here for a reality check........Leeds rules!!!

7. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Hurrah!

Not that I know much about bars, pubs, clubs or restaurants but in very many other ways I do know about we do excel. I'm proud to be a Loiner and don't feel the need to 'admit' it, I STATE it with a smile. Nobody yet has challenged me :)

8. pedroartois

pedroartois New Member

I don't think the X Factor Team like Leeds since their auditions here in 2006, "Never coming back" was one of the quotes I remember.

9. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Oh no! How can we live knowing that ... we'd all better go outside and have ourselves whipped :-(

10. Derc

Derc New Member

Hi OHWife, could you enlighten me about Spencer place, I haven't been that way for years.
    How do you think an outsider would view it as representative of Leeds ?

11. Derc

Derc New Member

It seems to beg the question, what area of Leeds would we be proud to show to visitors.

12. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:eek: Yikes! That is the one thing you don't want to hear from the most successful show on TV!!.:icon_sad:

The people of Leeds need an enquiry into why the biggest city promo' boob EVER, landed squarely on their shoulders! :neutral:

13. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I once visited Leeds Castle and thoroughly enjoyed myself, though a little further South than I had anticipated. :icon_smile:

14. brenmac

brenmac New Member

i agree i was born and bred in leeds on the gipton estate....i left leeds in 1973 my family is still there.i find it awfull now as its a motorway city.i worked in the old bus sttion in the 60,s and loved it.im proud in from leeds as we are a people who speak the truth as it is.but i dont think ev though fond memories i wouldnt like to live there now.brenda xxx

15. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Well I've lived for 72 years in Leeds and bits of it change every day. But would I want it to be the same as it was in the 40's - 50's ... etc.?

No.

And think of this, Brenda, YOU have changed. Would you want to be the same as you were in the 60's? Fifty years ago?

I doubt it.

I love living in Leeds, I love seeing the new people, the new shops (even though I don't like shopping), the new housing without the relatively primitive conditions I accepted when I was a child (because I knew no other). And the new roads (most of us drive now, we didn't then) and hospitals and ... almost everything. They make living easier.

Of course we don't like everything - but did we ever? Would you go back to the 60's fashions?

What I like least is the new school which has replaced my old high school which was a delight, to me my ideal architecture and I'd have loved to have lived there. The new glass and gaudy exterior is abhorrent to me but apparently many people love it. Who am I to say that my opinion is better than theirs?

Mary

16. brenmac

brenmac New Member

mary,yes i have got older but my memories haven,t,yes i would love the 50,60,s back.we played out at night playng rounders and football and enjoyed being out not sat playing games at a computer.we played kick out can.when it was time to go in we didnt want to as we were enjoying ourselves.we went on the beck doing duffs lolyes i loved them days.if it could go back i would love itwe used to go the henry barren youth club did duke of edingborough awards,.we had whip and tops and marked the tops with chalk,skipping,hop scotch...were are these today?.now it is all computer games brenda xxx

17. straas

straas New Member

Sounds just like my childhood and I'm only 23.

It seems that as we age we forget how we actually were in our youth, remembering only select parts. Things are not getting generally worse - example;

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
    frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
    words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
    respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
    [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)

18. Derc

Derc New Member

So far we've got Leeds castle, new roads, the bus station, a school on a hill, and a youth club, lets keep it going, to make Sheffield envious, we can win this, for tourists.

19. straas

straas New Member

Kirkstall abbey, roundhay park, the pubs, otley chevin, bramhope village, tropical world, harewood house.

20. brenmac

brenmac New Member

also the armourey xxxxxx

21. Malky

Malky New Member

self-praise is no praise at all