1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How do you think outsiders view Leeds?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Dec 18, 2010.

1. halliclone

halliclone New Member

You have your own view on your city, but how do you think Leeds is perceived by an outsider? :icon_smile:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. KooK

KooK New Member

As an outsider what is your view?

When I lived in Scunny I viewed it as the "big city" and regularly got lost when I visited. But since living here I think it's size is one of its major draws.

People from Leeds and Newcastle seem to get on well, I think the two cities are quite similar. I think a lot of people probably see it as 'just another city' with nothing special, which is a real shame.

4. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I quite like it, learned a lot about it since being a member of this forum. People seem very nice, but there seem to be a minority that have a real chip on their shoulder about Sheffield folk. Not sure why, bit of a shame really.:icon_sad:

5. KooK

KooK New Member

I don't think people have a chip about Sheffield, I think it's more SheffieldForum? Might be wrong. No-one I know has anything against Sheffield, I'd say the only thing is that Sheffield has an arena, meaning most big tours and shows go to Sheffield and Manchester and skip Leeds, but this is a failing of LCC, nothing to do with Shef. And will change in the years to come.

I lived in Sheffield for about 8 months, it was pretty good, but I missed Leeds. Mostly for reasons previously stated. I think lots of towns and cities suffer the same problems...their councils! Sheffield has a beautiful station, why block it with a big metal thing?! I love the tram system there too, makes getting about a doddle.

6. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Why do these people have a chip about SF when SF is providing them with a forum of their own?

7. KooK

KooK New Member

I have no idea! I'm not one of those people lol, maybe it's the "haha our forum is bigger than yours" attitude some of the SFers come on LF with sometimes? or doing things like typing L**ds? lol dunno. I don't think the issue is whether you're from Leeds/Sheffield or whether you're on LF/SF, there are numpties everywhere in the world.

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:icon_lol: Fair enough. Any road up, I personaly think you guys live in a nice place, just interested to see what other peoples views are.:icon_smile:

9. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I always saw Leeds as a sort of ignored city.

People know it's here, but don't know much about it.

10. terenced

terenced New Member

I moved away and went to London for fifteen years, I came back to Leeds four years ago for a weeks Holiday with my family. I left my job and moved back the same month. This is a great city, ten times better than most people realise. The only things wrong with the city are the lacklustre council who seem to plod on regardless, the First Buses are absolutely dreadful.

London with all it's problems, has a better and more reliable bus service than Leeds.
    The local GP service is great as are the LGI etc. Leeds has an awful lot going for it.
    I love Leeds and rate it over London..

11. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Simple jealousy :hey:

12. grafter

grafter New Member

I worked in London several years ago, most of the people down there had no idea where Leeds is.Near Liverpool some said.

13. grafter

grafter New Member

the only knowledge of Leeds, in most towns is L.U.F.C. or Rhinos.

14. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Yes, I think that this would be the reaction from most outsiders, certainly not one of jealousy. I think this forum will educate many outsiders about the hidden gem that is Leeds, I think the people of Sheffield that put this site together have a lot to be thanked for.:icon_smile:

15. drunkendwarfe

drunkendwarfe New Member

this forum was operating a long time before SF took it over

16. Acebikerchick

Acebikerchick New Member

Quote from a mate that lives in London. I got the beating of my life by the Leeds supporters a few years back when i came up to watch Wimbledon...you lot are mental....LOL And he said it with such happiness. Think Leeds has a hard reputation, probably because we have such avid supporters.
    Whenever i speak to people outside of Leeds now they talk about bands that are from here and gigs they have been to years ago at Queens Hall etc. I think people remember "Old" Leeds more than new Leeds...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  17. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I must admit, I have fond memories of the old Leeds. :icon_smile:

18. LS resident

LS resident Member

A lot of people outside Leeds have picked up on the substantial amount of media and publications that it is a buzzing city and ranks highly in many categories, including many Londoners. The nearer to Leeds you get, the stronger that impression is, and many people living close but not in Leeds worship the city more than a lot of Leeds' residents do.

There are large group of southerners that are really up their own a*ses with snotty attitudes towards anywhere north of Watford, but I just treat them with disdain for being such ignorant prats.

19. LS resident

LS resident Member

When I lived in Grimsby, we used to view Scunny as the local 'big city' and many aspired to get there! Leeds was like 'New York' in comparison, and was worshipped accordingly. It just shows, all things are relative.

I was therefore quite proud when moving to Leeds, and still love living here 12+ years on.

20. grafter

grafter New Member

anyone coming all that way to watch Wimbledon probably had a good beating long before then .lol

21. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Sorry drunkendwarfe, I have heard about this before. I understand that the 'main mod' was from Sheffield and the forum wasn't doing too well, but was rescued by the creators of SF.

Bet you feel like you have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire!:icon_lol::icon_wink: