1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

How about a finance section?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Janus, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Janus

Janus Member

Thinking of ways in which we can collectively expand this forum, I feel a section of this nature could be of interest to many of the users. We all use £££££

From those struggling with debt, savers looking for the best rates of interest, mortgage and loan topics, shares and general investments, the bankers, (maybe not the bankers)! , best places for holiday currency, credit & debit cards, recommendations of a service-accountants etc. Sub sections for things like power of attorney & wills etc. All things financial in one place.

Let’s get one up & running before SF :icon_wink:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Nice idea, but I'm not sure there will be sufficient responses for a dedicated section. Feel free to post a cash saving topic though and if there is enough support, admin will consider a separate area.

4. Derc

Derc New Member

Good idea Janus, a finance section would fit in with the reference section I've been droning on about for the past year. We should brush away the cobwebs in suggestions and feedback,
    our mods could attract more posters by instigating lively comment and allowing pictorial additions.

5. Janus

Janus Member

Croggy, thank you for at least being willing to consider the notion of a finance category in principal.

I am happy to contribute to the Leeds forum in any positive way that you feel I can. “Money saving” is quite a subjective issue. I don’t like waste in any form, so yes I’m all for saving cash. But, I’m not your average person when it comes to watching the pounds. I could (quite rightly) be labelled a “super scrimper”. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t turn the gas ring off while I flip a fried egg over :icon_wink:, but yes I’m very careful and never short of the spondoolies even on a limited fixed income.

I could post a load of stuff, but I believe a large percentage of people (especially the younger end of society) are really not that bothered about the "small money saving tips".

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. Tech Repairs

Tech Repairs New Member

Nice idea. I'd love to know how community forums grow as big as SF honestly...
    I started on SF when I was about 14 and assumed all major cities had similar sized forums. Was only until trying to find Leeds forum, failing and having to ask my mother if it even existed I stumbled across it.

7. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

If we see enough posts relevant enough to warrant a new section, be it finance or reference or anything else for that matter then it will get created.

However recently we merged several sections to make the forum more user friendly and compact.

Ideally we'd like to keep different sections to a minimum, otherwise people do start to miss things that are posted or get confused as to where to post things.

8. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

So would I, but I am not keen on Sheffield forum: it is too big.it is too much of a trawl to find the posts that are of interest.

9. Tech Repairs

Tech Repairs New Member

Yeah, that was sometime the joy of it, reading mindless, poorly written threads.
    I needed to do more interesting things with my life in hindsight.

10. Janus

Janus Member

If you think about it, mindless poorly written threads are undesirable on any forum, regardless of size.

11. Xisgil

Xisgil New Member

Yes, finance section for all and students is a good idea. However, being free what to post is already a good opportunity. Should I say, let us enjoy our freedom of posting.