1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by Expatriate, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Expatriate

Expatriate New Member

Hi everyone,

Great forum just thought I’d introduce myself, I’m Jon. I lived in Crossgates for many years but am now in good old Castleford with my partner. I still have travel to Leeds almost daily for work (St James’s hospital). Look forward to chatting with you all :icon_smile:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Hello, Jon and welcome to the forum.

4. Expatriate

Expatriate New Member

Hi Croggy :icon_smile: ah someone from my old stomping ground? Anywhere near Xgates Avenue?

5. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Hi - yes, quite close actually at the moment (Hawkhills)

6. Expatriate

Expatriate New Member

Yeah only 2 minutes away, my parents still live there, I miss Saturday night in all the boozers in xgates centre on a Fri night

7. Daniell

Daniell Registered User

Welcome to the forum Jon :)

8. Slaphead2

Slaphead2 Member

Hi Jon
    Welcome to the forum. Crossgates used to be my old stomping ground. Lived in Whitkirk then in Brian Crescent behind what used to be the Gem and prior to that the Regal cinema.
    Enjoy your time on the forum.

9. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

When I was a kid on the Gipton Estate a trip to the Regal cinema or the Ritz was a treat.
    Many years later I got made redundant (posh for sack) and got the job as carpet fitter for a furniture company in the Gem and went from £30. a week to £100 a week in the mid 1960s.

10. Slaphead2

Slaphead2 Member

As kids we used to call the Ritz the 'flea pit' We had a 'system' where one of us would pay to get in the cinema for the Saturday matinee and he would then open the fire door exit behind the curtains at the front at the side of the screen and let the rest of us in for free.

That was a hell of a wage for the mid 60's! I was assistant manager at Wilkinson's Hardware (first store on the right as you went in the front door of the Gem) and don't think I was earning that much in 1969!

11. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

I thought I had won the Pools when I got that job. working 12 hours or so a day for six days a week and getting paid cash in hand, It was December and I stopped working on Xmas eve. at 8pm. and the householder said "Aren't you going to finish the job?"
    sadly the Nottingham based firm went bust elsewhere and then the store folded in Leeds.

A.S.D.A. opened a shop in there selling Dairy Products, must have been their first retail shop.

12. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

It was not a wage as such, I was paid on carpet yardage laid and it was 2 months before Christmas and the firms carpet fitters had let them down consequently there was a huge backlog of floorcovering to be fitted.