1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Help me to save my dog Joe

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by poppet, Apr 30, 2013.

1. poppet

poppet New Member

hello I am new to this but here goes i need all the help i can get to save my 9 year old dog from being taken away from me by the local council. I live in a flat where pets not allowed i have had joe for 9 years he has been with me in my flat for just over 2 years the council have known i have had him but not said anything because he is not a problem. i walk him regularly and clean up his mess. The problem started with tenant below me she got dog 9 months ago and it barks all the time. she was reported now council say i have to get rid of joe too.You might be thinking well I have broken my tenancy agreement and you would be right. But is it right for the council to make me get rid of my dog when they are not enforcing the same tenancy agreement with tenants in the blocks within my surrounding area No it is not they cannot have one rule for one and a rule for another. There are approx 150 tenants living in flats here and approx 70% have pets. Are council not enforcing this rule because they would have a tenants war on their hands? Yes i think so. I have told th BITMO housing i will move to keep my dog have been bidding on properties but they are not giving me time to find a new property. Have to re-move him by 1st may or face eviction from my flat. Can anyone help.
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Sorry I have no idea but hope you get to keep Joe!

Welcome to the site.
  4. thistle

thistle Registered User

Get more information and not info from residents as majority of residents often talk crap
    but see a Lawyer about it and if he cant help he possibly knows someone whom could
    more of a civil case ..but get someone that knows the council rules
    as i wouldnt listen to a council worker sitting at a desk in their office
    as they often also talk crap and just like to show some authority female Hitlers spring to mind

Meantime havent you any family member or a friend that maybe are able to help
    regards your dog ?

The council seem heartless feckers as far as im concerned
    but at same time i would never get a dog if i was in a flat

mind you often people are much worse than animals > that i do know
    meanwhile all the best and hope you get something sorted for you and your dog .
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

I live in a flat where pets not allowed ....you have said it all really haven't you? I'm not anti-dog, I've got two, but why did you get one when they aren't allowed? I agree the council should enforce the rules evenly to all tenants. Can you go see the Citizen's Advice Bureau and see what they say? I think it will be a case of "you knew the rules so sorry, nothing can be done" though.
  6. bewerley

bewerley New Member

For a pet lover this is a tragic story but only too common. Tenants always push the rules and those who blatantly abuse them spoil it for everyone else. It's a difficult situation for Council employees but heartbreaking for for those caught up in it. It's so easy to blame the Council as taking responsibility for ones own actions can be painful.

Pets give many older people the will to live and should be allowed for health reasons but of course those with the pit bulls claim they are pets too and should be allowed.

I am so pleased I avoided the social housing trap when I was younger.
  7. Derc

Derc New Member

Joe's been very quiet throughout this.
  8. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Could be a German Shepherd and does not speak English.
  9. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Doggedly silent to stop us all barking up the wrong tree.
  10. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

If Joe were to join the Army (Part time) and go live in the Dales would that make hin an Airdale Terrier ?.
  11. thistle

thistle Registered User

I agree he puts up a post then doesnt type back which doesnt make sense
    but my guess is there isnt much he can do in the circumstances

because if the council have them rules then what can he do ?
    shouldve done his homework about such before moving into a flat
    regards keeping pets .

Quick edit,
    Personally i like all animals but as for pit bulls although they aint my kinda dog
    only because of their looks " sadly " its not these dogs which are bad
    but some of the owners whom own them as theyre friendly dogs from a pup
    and when older IF theyre looked after properly same as any other dog then
    theyre fine animals as pets ..
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Perhaps he did and found that it is a rule that they do not usually bother with.
  13. thistle

thistle Registered User

Maybe he shouldve taken in a Monkey instead :icon_lol:
  14. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Maybe he shouldve taken in a Monkey instead QUOTE]

Yes Then he could go live on the Gibbon Estate.

Sorry about that.
  15. thistle

thistle Registered User

:icon_lol: ^^ all fun jack :icon_smile:

And then he could then as below VV dance with the funky Gibbon -> really sorry about that :(

16. Gargoyle

Gargoyle New Member

How about asking in your local vets if they know anyone who will foster Joe (for say 2months) until you find somewhere else to live. Maybe one of the assistants would do it. It would be cheaper and safer than kennels unless you know they are very reputable, but they are expensive and don't allow for emergencies or helping out. Their more for the money. Don't ask Dogs Trust or any one of the animal welfare people, I did as I have to go in hospital and needed help to foster a paralysed dog I have, they weren't interested, fobbed me off onto someone else. Please don't advertise for someone you don't know, some people get dogs for bait in dog fighting, then tell you your dog got away. Don't part with him, 9yrs is along time, these councils should realise they are family whether you broke your agreement or not. Its them what help to cause over crowding in dog pounds, yet we are trying to make people more animal aware. Try get a certificate to class him as a therapy dog, nobody can refuse him then. If you have depression, anxiety, fear of going out on your own. any other medical problem he is useful to you for. There is a lady in the forum fighting the council about the same thing, she goes under the name...magpie...dogs in flats. If all else fails start a massive petition with magpie, I'm sure she will jump at the chance, I will also support you/both. The council are well out of order and you should fight it if they knew about it all this time. My email is mollydogle@hotmail.co.uk please let me know how you are getting on with this and I can try think of other ideas. Diane.
  17. Gargoyle

Gargoyle New Member

Joe is 9yrs old, he's been in the flat for 2 yrs, so he was obviously 7 when they moved in. I get the feeling the flat might have been taken in desperation for somewhere to live at the time. But once your stuck in a flat its hard to just get out, even if that was your intention in the beginning, especially when you see the price of private housing, plus its hard to get a council house or bungalow if your single and fairly young. I feel for them, dogs really are family, good dog owners look after their pets, they keep them quiet, clean up after them, walk them, chastise them, they are no different to people who live in houses, they don't throw noisy destructive children or violent families out on a whim. Dogs play a big part in our society, they shouldn't be shunned or disregarded as useless, and left in a shelter to be heart-broken after all the years of love and loyalty they give us. If the council have known about Joe for two years and said nothing, then its partly their fault and should at least offer alternative measures. Just saying, there doesn't seem to be a lot of support when people need it, we all do things wrong at times, its part of our nature, but the council were wrong too.