1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Hello guys

Discussion in 'Introductions & Celebrations' started by AustinY, Dec 11, 2014.

1. AustinY

AustinY New Member

I'm just announcing myself as a newbie. to this site.

I was born and bred in Leeds but have been away
    for around twenty years. and am now in Ireland.

I think it's time to reminisce.

It was talk of Newton's Pork shop which I found
    that brought me here.

Their famous pork pies and roast pork sandwiches on bread cakes
    with dripping rather than butter. ah....

A

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Hello and welcome on board.

Not familiar with the shop in question, but you have just made me hungry :D

4. Leodis

Leodis Member

A pork shop to behold is Weegman's in Otley. They've been there for years and still make superb products
    Yummy

5. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Newtons shop was on Kirkstall Road and their pork pies were the best in town.
    at Xmas you had to order if you wanted a "Stand Pie" (my Missus is from Bristol and had never heard of a large pie with this name) and queues for their food used to stretch along the road.
    I would say they were on a par with your local quality pie and food shop Wilsons on Austhorpe Road, only not quite as pricey in their day.

6. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

I had many a lovely pork pie from there and they were in a class of their own.
    there was other top quality pork pie shops too........ Bradleys on Duncan St / Whip pub yard, Bradburys on the corner of the Mecca Arcade Victoria Quarter) and Cardis who had a string of shops around Leeds and sold top quality food but there was a case of salmonella concerning one of their shops and bingo they were finished.

7. nutz

nutz New Member

Having been brought up in the burley area of Leeds I remember Newtons well my mum always got her stand pie from there until it shutdown after a food poisoning scare

8. AustinY

AustinY New Member

I worked in Jonas Woodhead's from 1978 to 1984 before I was
    exiled to RSR, the Woodhead company in Manchester,

so I had many Pork lunches from Newtons

The move across the Pennines was the start on my journey to Dublin.

I've never really been back.

9. nutz

nutz New Member

You might know my dad terry peirse he worked at wood heads from late 60s til retiring a few years back

10. Leodis Loiner

Leodis Loiner Member

Hi Austin,

Welcome to the forum!

:icon_cool:

11. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

12. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Cardis Pork Butchers were owned by relatives of mine, they had a minor salmonella outbreak and the YEP hounded them out of business because of it.

Deserved? I can't say, happened a long time ago and I only heard about it second hand.

13. Greens of Morley made pretty decent pies. Even after they were taken over by Farm Shops of Pontefract Lane they let them keep the factory behind the shop on Queen St. There were 4 shops in centre of Morley. Fountain St, Queen St, one that sold Beef just a few doors away and Morley Bottoms. Newtons were a bit taller pies but still delicious.
    Welcome aboard Austin.

14. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Cardis were known for their quality meats and pies and from my recollection their shops were always spotless, as were all butchers shops in those days.
    sadly they had a problem and it is quite possible the Y.E.P. lie behind their demise. the one at Cross gates (opp the R.C. Church) sold lovely pies.

15. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

In the late 60s and 70s (Ugh going decimal) I had a business in Morley Market, those where the days when it was a "Proper" Market and Greens shop next door sold the most wonderful tasting Pork pies. later Wilsons of Cross gates opened on the opposite side of the road but Greens pies were the best in my opinion.

16. LeedsGoodGuy

LeedsGoodGuy Member

Welcome to the forum mate. The word pork pies has made me raid my fridge. ha ha