1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Getting to know you...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

It seems there is a bit of bad feeling around here.

One of the problems with online forums is the veil of annonymity, people make assumptions about other users and may often behave in ways which are out of character. As has been pointed out elsewhere, location-based forums often suffer from a lack of shared interest, whereas topic-specific groups (e.g. music, photography, sports) can be more succesful due to members meeting up face to face in social environments.

Obviously there is an "Introductions" section elsewhere, however in the interest of possibly drawing a line under recent events and moving forward in a way which will hopefully build a platform from which this enterprise can grow I wondered if a few introductions may be of use? An effort, potentially, to "humanise" some of the people we are conversing with.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Fully agree to this. We need to start again with a fresh slate.

4. John Smith

John Smith Member

My name is John Smith....I hide behind no anonymous username, Whats your`s...?

5. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I'm Stu Hudson, originally from Liverpool (technically The Wirral but I use some geographical flexibility for the sake of my footballing alliance). I love music, obviously, but also photography and cooking, I was once on Come Dine With Me. I won. It makes my skin crawl to watch it back. I have an adopted 5 year old son and live in Knaresborough with my other half and our two dogs.

Oh, and I'm on Facebook and Twitter, follow me if you like.

Croggy likes this.
  6. Mr Gary C

My name's Gary and I'm a Leeds based musician.

7. GregB

GregB Active Member

My name's Greg. I like music, drinking and all sorts of other things. I've also been on TV, a rather bad appearance on 15 to 1 a very long time ago,

I have a severe aversion to blatant trolls.

8. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I love 15 to 1. I'm giving serious consideration to applying for The Chase.

9. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I'm Ben/ny. I moved here because there was a decent music scene at the time and I was playing as a full time musician. I broke my voice and now I'm stuck in office limbo until I get it back, which seems to be taking so long that the only acceptable genres of music that I'll be able to perform in when and if I get it back are folk and blues or anything where everyone is old.

Croggy and Mr Gary C like this.
  10. Mr Gary C

My dad loves The Chase! Let us know if you get on it Stu

11. GregB

GregB Active Member

One of my mates went on Countdown in it's heyday and had the utter embarrassment of being beaten by one of those annoying 14 year olds kids they have on sometimes. We never, EVER mention that to him :D

Croggy and Mr Gary C like this.
  12. bongobenny

Rob Galloway went on that. I now know from watching that episode that 'monger' is not an acceptable word unless it has a precursor (eg fish)

Mr Gary C likes this.
  13. Mr Gary C

Yeah, I believe Rob broke his countdown teapot. Not sure if he was sent a replacement.

14. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

"We're asking, what is the worst monger? Iron, fish... rumour... or war?"

15. GregB

GregB Active Member

Costermonger must surely be a contender

16. bongobenny

Wasn't that a club in Birmingham in the 90's?

17. tome

tome Active Member

My name's Tom, certified philosopher (true) but I used to earn my corn as an engineer. I grew up in a terraced street in Harehills when it was a place to aspire to live in.

I sang and played in bands for over forty years on guitars, fiddle and accordion. In 1975, I was a founder member of the Mirror Boys art-rock pre-punk beat group. We had a ballerina instead of a drummer and played the Fforde Grene a couple of times.

I had a Saturday job in Moss Bros and I sold a second-hand dinner suit to John Betjeman in 1968, earning myself ten bob commission for my effort.

I look forward to reading more exploits from other forum members.

Al2001 and Mr Gary C like this.
  18. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Amazing!

19. GregB

GregB Active Member

Rock and indeed Roll

20. tome

tome Active Member

The Mirror Boys always used to polarise audiences. The thick half usually wanted to kill us and the educated half thought we were brill.

Mr Gary C likes this.
  21. tome

tome Active Member

My avatar is my first home down Beckett Street that was a real full blown slum.

I don't think Harehills today is a slum, maybe not somewhere to aspire to. Even in so-called posh areas of Leeds you find houses that are neglected and lack visual amenity.