1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

German Market 2010, yay!

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by KooK, Nov 5, 2010.

1. KooK

KooK New Member

After much toing and froing and lots of different rumours, the Christkindelmarkt is definitely happening, its true I saw them setting it up with my own eyes. Let the Pork ensue :D

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Acebikerchick

Acebikerchick New Member

Oooooooooo let the mulled wine ensue........

4. Joe

Joe El Duderino

I've already booked a half a day off on a Friday... specifically to indulge,

5. KooK

KooK New Member

We're having our pre-crimbo staff do there on the 15th :D

6. Cowl

Cowl New Member

Yay? It was hopeless last year, apart from the sausages. Stalls selling hippy tat and plastic glasses instead of steins? Nein danke!

7. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

it looks to be more of the same, hopefully better than previous years.

8. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Agree on the stalls, however, as an after work venue for a bite and a few beers (+ free oompah entertainment) it can't really be beaten.

I just hope this year that they expand the beer tent somewhat.

You can get steins, you have to pay a deposit.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic New Member

Has anyone here been into the mysterious restaurant with the big line up? I'm wondering if it's worth lining up in the cold for...is it just German music and the ability to sit inside, or is there something more in there?

10. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Hello Cosmic,

Me and some workmates went in a couple of Fridays ago and were queueing from 4pm until about 4.30pm so it isn't that bad if you get there early enough. It's a good laugh when you get inside, good atmosphere, nice cooking smells. Also good if you can get a seat at one of the long tables or in the booths. The band come on at around 6 and get everyone revved up with their special brand of German/English spliced ooompah music.

Go on a weeknight, it's not anywhere near as busy as the weekends.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic New Member

Thanks Joe. What kind of food & pricing is in there please?

12. Joe

Joe El Duderino

If i remember correctly Beers are £3.50 a pint or £10 for one of those litre pots (including £3 deposit which you get back)

I didn't eat there myself but food seems to be mainly pork based, roast pork, sausages etc gulasch all sorts of goodness, it smelt great. I know KooK had a munch there the other night and it got a beardy 2 thumbs up.

13. KooK

KooK New Member

My thumbs don't have beards...anymore.

It's around £7-£7.50 for a big plate of pork with mashed potatoes/noodle things and sauerkraut.

For the beers I recommend bottles of Paulaner Weizen Dunkel, dark wheat beer that's super yummy and its the same price as a pint for a half litre (virtually a pint).

14. Cowl

Cowl New Member

I wish to take back my earlier cruel remarks. I wandered through Peterborough 'German' market yesterday and they also had stalls selling hippy tat. From this I must concur that hippy tat is authentically German.

15. Dullard

Dullard New Member

Slightly overpriced I feel, but then again, what's money when you're experiencing European Christmas cheer? In steins.

-J

16. loosecannons

loosecannons New Member

does anyone know if it is still on?
    Or is it the ice rink now?
    I always seem to miss it when it comes along!

17. KooK

KooK New Member

It always finished the weekend before christmas, its the ice rink again now, just walked past it on the way home, it was quite nice, maybe we should get one that looks more permanent (but isn't) like the one in front of the Rockafeller building.