1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Gaucho Restaurant Leeds

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by Cosmic, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic New Member

Gaucho Restaurant Leeds - AMAZING!!! :D

A few weeks ago my partner and I went out for our anniversary dinner on a Friday night. We were all dressed up nicely and had picked a restaurant that, while we couldn't book (they wouldn't take bookings of less than 6), we were assured we'd get a table. When we turned up however the place was full, we'd have to wait 20 minutes for a spot, plus it was full of screaming kids and not at all romantic. So we moved on. The next two places we checked, while much classier, were also full up for at least the next hour and a half to two hours. We were feeling a bit silly and annoyed by now. Rather than wait another two hours for a meal, we decided to trek to the other side of the city to try another place my partner said might have a table.

However, just as we were starting off there, a little black plaque on the side of the street caught my eye. I don't know what it was about it as if you didn't see it right away you wouldn't notice it was there. On closer inspection it turned out to be a tiny and very trendy looking menu to a place called Gaucho. The food sounded intriguing, so we went down the tiny steps to a hidden door below the street level to have a closer look.

As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by two lovely waitresses who were very friendly and charming. The interior of the place looked fantastic, very trendy with cowprint seats and black designs. There's a picture on the website I'll post. The waitress showed us around and answered any questions without pressuring us to stay there. Then she said if we did want to eat there she could have a table for us in 45 minutes and we could have a cocktail at the bar before then. We stayed.

We had a cocktail each and they were amazing, as were the free bar nibbles they brought over. Within 45 minutes we were shown to our table and talked through the specials. I was very impressed with staff knowledge; it wasn't just a sale it was a whole dining experience. They knew the food intimately and could answer any question on it. The speciality was Argentinian steak and the waitress brought out the different cuts on a board and talked us through them, as well as giving me a sample of a sauce I was considering.

The food came very quickly after we ordered and it was AMAZING. Everything up to this point had been brilliant but the food...was the best part. Really high quality cooked exactly as we'd asked. We both had steak and it may have been the best steak I've ever had. This place was so good; I can't rave about the food and atmosphere and attentive, friendly staff enough.

The only thing that may deter one from going there is the cost...our bill for two cocktails each, steak each, an entree and a couple of sides to share (no desserts or coffee) was about £80. But it's well worth it, and it's the kind of place you'd go for a special occasion, not an every day place.

So next time you need somewhere amazing for a meal...especially if you love steak...try Gaucho!

Here's the website: http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant.php?id=leeds

I would also be interested to hear from anyone else who's been here and how your experience was.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. KooK

KooK New Member

glad you enjoyed this, I also want to try the new(ish) Fazenda bar and grill, I went to Tropeiro in Manchester which was excellent and this seems like a similar set up. Happy belated anniversary :D

4. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Same from me! :icon_smile:

A much better reply than the one I posted earlier and had removed KooK. :icon_smile::thumbs2:

5. Cosmic

Cosmic New Member

Thank you both! I have added Fazenda to my list of awesome places to check out in Leeds. What are other great restaurants here?

6. MTHEO

MTHEO New Member

I went to the Gaucho's at Canary Wharf last year, everyone seemed impressed, i'm no foodie so wasen't bothered..... they sure as hell needed to pay their electricity bill though, candles everywhere and my dad couldn't even see the menu haha.

7. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

is this a sponsored piece?

8. clarkovitch

clarkovitch New Member

Hi all,

I went to Fazenda last night (it was great, btw) and I've done a guest blog reviewing it at the Buzz from Brazil blog, so have a read if you're thinking of going there!

Dan

9. maomao55

maomao55 New Member

Been to Gaucho once, think its over price a bit. I had a top "price" steak and my wife had a normal one with a bottle of wine cost us £170.

10. clarkovitch

clarkovitch New Member

Never been to Gaucho, but I've always found River Plate to be good?

11. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Sounds like a great find but as soon as I read 'free bar nibbles' I knew the bill was going to be reassuringly expensive.

To open and run a trendy restaurant in Leeds with all its overheads you need to get a minimum of £15 a cover even if the customers eat or drank nothing. Everything above that reflects the quality of staff and food.

Running restaurants is not for the faint hearted.

12. Cleaning Agents

Cleaning Agents New Member

If Carlsberg wrote adverts for restaurants......

13. dpmanc

dpmanc New Member

I could murder a steak right now...

14. bewerley

bewerley New Member

sounds like a quote for a vegetarian as they believe meat is murder.

15. Guybrush

Guybrush New Member

I nearly made the mistake of going to Grouchos once. Never heard of the place (so didn't know the prices!) and was sat down with my friends in the waiting area and luckily they brought over food and drink menus so just before they'd got a table for us we were able to escape to Tampopo!

I went to Fazenda the other month for my girlfriend's birthday and that was excellent (it's basically £25 all you can eat steak!)