1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Funniest Films of All Time

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    So long as Airplane! is in there then all is well with the world.

Croggy likes this.
  4. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

They've missed the funniest film of all time: Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

A couple of Wes Anderson in the top 100, which is nice to see.

5. tome

tome Active Member

They missed out Sands Of The Desert, tut tut.

6. Mr Gary C

Out of the top 7, I only really liked Groundhog day...but I wouldn't say it was that funny. Certainly not on a par with Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

7. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

"The top 7, in order: Annie Hall, Some Like It Hot, Groundhog Day, Airplane!, Tootsie, Young Frankenstein and Dr Strangelove."

This list has been compiled by the Writers Guild of America West and the full list is here http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=5949 I'm not sure that all the given films would be considered good comedy by British audiences?

8. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Coming to America. I love that film.

Stardust likes this.
  9. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Annie Hall is probably my favourite film. I'm also glad The Big Lebowski is in there, it gets funnier with each viewing.

MarcPollitt84 likes this.
  10. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I've never seen Annie Hall. Years ago I tried watching some Woody Allen films and hated them, but I've really enjoyed his recent output, particularly Blue Jasmine, so I probably need to go back and try again.

11. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Which ones did you see? If you prefer films without him in I'd recommend Bullets over Broadway. A bonus star turn from Jim Broadbent in that one.

12. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I'm not sure, definitely Manhatten and a couple of others.

13. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I've only seen Groundhog Day and Airplane from the list. I don't remember much about Groundhog Day but I love Airplane, I can watch that film over and over.

BongoBenny - Yes! I love Coming to America too.

Couple more of my faves - Shaun of the Dead (because I have a bit of a thing for Nick Frost - I am starting to think I have a bit of a thing in general for chubby dark haired blokes! lol), Caddyshack, Happy Gilmour and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (which is something I watch every year!)

14. Mr Gary C

I'm not a big fan of Eddie Murphy, but Trading Places was on Sky last night. Watched it and enjoyed it...although there weren't too many laugh out loud moments, it made me smile.

15. GregB

GregB Active Member

There are couple of fantastic bits in Trading Places :D

16. Mr Gary C

Yes there were. It's dated a bit and it was a bit silly towards the end, but still enjoyable.

17. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Trading Places is brilliant until it gets to the bit with the train at the end, and especially the gorilla bit where Beeks is it? Gets bummed.

18. GregB

GregB Active Member

Good to see Airplane there. Probably the only film that is genuinely lough out load funny every time you watch it.

19. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
  20. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

I'm not very good at films (I don't know anything about them and I don't understand what makes one "good" and another not), but one of my favourite funnies is Jacques Tati's "M. Hulot's Holiday". A sort of 1950s French missing link between a Chaplin film and Mr Bean. Sort of.

And you don't have to be able to speak French to be able to understand it, cos it's a "silent" film. (There is some talking in it, but it's in English, which apparently makes it "silent".) There's some stuff in it that's just outright slapstick funny and some stuff in it that's incredibly well, erm, "choreographed", if that's the right word. (There's a scene where he's playing table tennis and other people are playing bridge; I think the word for it is choreography, but I might be wrong.)

21. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    If you like that one i recommend two other Tati movies: Jour de fete and Playtime.
    The first half of playtime is not really funny but the second half , staged in a restaurant is hilarious .

O, and those two Woody allen films; bananas and Take the money and run are indeed very funny.

O, and the birdgage is also a movie one should see.

And have you seen Bruno?