1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by MarcPollitt84, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Hi all.

So im thinking maybe its time to get some sort of ear protection before i go deaf.

Ive got some of those squidgy foam ones but they dont seem to stay in. I was wondering if anyone has a more sophisticated option the can recommend, preferably affordable too.

Ive had a look on a few websites and theres lots to choose from so not sure where to start really.

What has everyone found to be a good, affordable way of protecting your hearing beyond just sticking your fingers in your ears?

Ta

EDIT: Just spotted these in Dawsons in town. Is this the sort of thing im looking for? http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-touring ... -ear-plugs :?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

The Fender ones will probably be fine. My standard recommendation is Elacin ER20s, which cost around £10-15 for a pair and sound as good as it's going to get without spending upwards of £100 on moulded plugs. Personally I think around £150 is a very small price to pay to protect one's ears but I understand it's not everyone' priority.

4. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    While I do agree £150 is a small price to pay to stop yourself becoming deaf the reality is that i dont have £150 to spend. Bearing in mind its not like im gigging four nights a week!

I will look into the ER20s, thanks. Does anywhere in town sell them?

5. _Joel_

_Joel_ New Member

Seconded for ER20s.

Jumbo Records sell them, or did the last time I looked.

6. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I use ER20's too.

When I say "use" I actually mean "own". I don't like wearing them, they're like ear-condoms. Erm....

7. Damian

Damian New Member

I've used ER20s for years. Everyone that goes to gigs should wear earplugs.

8. ian t

ian t New Member

9. vole

vole Member

Is there a difference between brands? Elacin? Ministry of sound? Etc etc

10. Damian

Damian New Member

If you're a player, consider the expensive ones. If you're just a gig-goer, the ER20s will do.

11. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Oh im a playa, fo real

12. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Sometimes the "christmas tree" bits can be slightly different sizes or shapes which might matter depending on the shape of your ear. Some also come with a cord attached which I would definitely recommend as it makes it way easier to pop one out for a few seconds without worrying about losing it.

13. isaac663

isaac663 New Member

Favourite Bands:
    the national
    I agree Ian T. Painful to part with £140 for ear plugs, but you can't put a pice on your health as they say.

Especially not your ears as a musician. Best money I ever spent too :)

Isaac.

14. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Yeah if you play I'd also say spend the money on a more expensive pair like the ACS Pro. It's a lot of money yes but they're worth getting

15. JonathanRace

JonathanRace New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Arctic Monkeys
    I got my custom ones about 4 years back and although one of the filters broke :( (my fault really I used to sleep with them in!) they were great, really comfortable and so much more a neutral sound.

I think if I were to replace the filters I'd probably get ones with slightly less attenuation (mine were 15db attenuation before)

16. JamieG

JamieG New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Who
    I had to wear ear plugs because of the noise the road behind my house was doing. But now I also use them when I'm doing drum sessions :band: :)
    At that time I found cheap one on that website :twisted: ... http://www.for-sale.co.uk/noise-reducing-ear-plugs. But I'm not sure about the fact that you can find high-end ones.

17. LucidSamples

LucidSamples New Member

Favourite Bands:
    metalica
    i use earplugs when I sleep lol :)

18. Leodis

Leodis Member