1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Did your parents go to really fucking cool gigs?

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by blackfoxnorth, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ohgee

ohgee New Member

For years the old man told me he was at the recording of "Live At Leeds". This seemed feasible as he is a huge Who fan. Turned out to be bollocks.

He also told me he danced with Debbie Harry at a Rock Against Racism gig that he bounced for (he did this quite a bit in the 70s because they paid in beer, apparently). I was, needless to say, well impressed and told one of my friends about it. He was also mega impressed. Years later (at my wedding reception, in fact) said friend met my dad for the first time and asked him about it. My dad just looked at him blankly and shook his head. "Nah, never happened." Cheers, dad.

So, as you can see, the revelation that he might well have seen Hendrix in Ilkley comes as quite a shock to me.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. mickd

mickd New Member

I went to the Stones in Roundhay park but my dad would not come because he hated crowds despite being a massive Stones fan . My mum went without him.

I too am old and saw The Clash a couple of times late 70's early 80's. Great memories. My wife always rubs it in that she saw The Clash/Sex Pistols/Damned/New York Dolls on the same bill in Leeds. Claims Joe Strummer (RIP) chatted her up at the bar.

4. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Just remembered a good one - the Sex Pistols played at my Mum's birthday party. Well, kind of, some of her best mates were really good friends with Glen Matlock and Paul Cook and put them on in the next room the same night.

This must have been really, really early days, I guess pre Malcolm McLaren although I'm no expert on their chronology.

She thought they were crap.

5. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Old geezers! Stop muscling in with your personal gig brags! This thread is for mas'n'pas only!

Thankyou.

6. ohgee

ohgee New Member

There isn't really a Sex Pistols pre-McLaren. He managed The Strand (later The Swankers), Cook and Jones' pre-Pistols band, and introduced Matlock and later Lydon to the group.

7. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Well, there you go.

8. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Just realised that two of my posts on this thread are attempts to pull apart the timelines in other posters' stories. I think this is probably evidence of my own near-pathological doubt when it comes to things parents say, brought about by the swirling soup of untruths and half-truths my father has over the years concocted. Please ignore my cynicism, and enjoy your ancestral memories untarnished.

9. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

Sorry.

10. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Ignore me. I was having a moment.

11. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

To be fair, the "pre McLaren" thing in my story was my own embellishment. I'm pretty sure that one happened. The Hendrix on the sofa story is clearly bollocks, though.

12. jfk

jfk Member

As Ohgee stated, Bob Marley came to prominence in the 70s, Hendrix peaked in 1967 and died in 1970. Hendrix supporting Marley seems unlikely. Around that period, Marley was only known as a member of The Wailers, who had just a moderate underground following in Britain, nowhere near as big as Hendrix. Although, Marley was recording in London in 1968 and their paths could have crossed.

To MickD: The Clash / Sex Pistols / Damned gig happened at Leeds Poly in December 1976, the opening act was not the New York Dolls, but their spin off group, Johnny Thunder's Heartbreakers. I booked The Heartbreakers for Leeds Poly a few months later and also promoted them at Wakefield Unity Hall.

Nobody seems to remember that there was a support band from Leeds at the Troutbeck gig, The Outer Limits. The band was very popular at the time and on the verge of breaking big, which could have accounted for an extra influx of local fans. The Outer Limits vocalist, Jeff Christie, left not long after to form Christie... he had a worldwide No1 hit with Yellow River. The Outer Limits guitarist, Steve, still plays around this area. Last time I saw him he was in The Rob Dylan Band.

Hendrix played Leeds in March 1967 at The International Club (a.k.a. Roots, The Phoenix Club, Cosmo Club) on Francis Street in Chapeltown. The promoter was Stuart Frais, the band stayed at his flat in Hyde Park. At the same venue, in 1978, I promoted Joy Division, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Magazine, XTC, Generation X, Suicide, The Adverts, The Dickies, The Revillos, Penetration, and lots more. Formerly a synagogue, it was pulled down not so long ago... another legendary venue bites the dust.

From a dad's point of view, I would have liked to have been able to say I went to see The Who, Live At Leeds University, in February 1970, but my wife was heavily pregnant with my first son and I didn't want to leave her on her own, he was born a month later. However, we did go to see Humble Pie (Stevie Marriott) and Love Sculpture (Dave Edmunds) at Leeds Town Hall a few months earlier in 1969. The tour was called 'Changes '69' and the opening act was a curly haired, solo acoustic artist called David Bowie.

13. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

Putting my "total pedantic spod" hat on John, in 1978 it would have been the Rezillos. The Revillos were an offshoot formed in 1979.

14. Owen

Owen New Member

I really hope that story got told frequently in Maths lessons at Abbey Grange...

15. Chris Catalyst

Chris Catalyst New Member

My mum used to go and see The Rats in Hull and once helped Mick Ronson take his boots off (I am hoping this is not a euphemism).

My dad used to go and see loads of gigs and once saw Tyrannosaurus Rex, before Marc Bolan renamed and rebranded them T-Rex. He said they were 'dead boring... everyone was just sat down swaying'.

16. Mark Sturdy

Mark Sturdy Member

My dad saw David Bowie solo at Harrogate Theatre in 1970, and The Who in Manchester around the time of Live at Leeds.

There also apparently used to be a really good blues club in Harrogate (above what's now Cafe Nero I think) where I think he once said he saw Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

17. jfk

jfk Member

You are correct Mr Shatner, it's one that got past the proof reader :)

18. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

Great post John, especially the mention on The Outer Limits, have you seen this documentary before, perhaps at the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRnFgF4-8M

In fact you might be able to answer this question, I've got a couple of singles by The Outer Limits from the 60s but there's one by a bad of the same name from the 70s, did the remaining members keep going? Here's the 70's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxpD0r_y6OU

19. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

My parents went to a lot of cool gigs, but more amusingly my ex girlfriends dad went to the Isle of Wight festival, the proper one in 1970, got absolutely smashed the night before it started, had the worst hangover he's ever had, and said that all he saw of the event was the inside of his tent, and the wall near it where he went to throw up and shit himself. He said at one point he was lying on the wall and said that he thinks he heard Ray Manzerek's keyboard for about a minute then he passed out again.

20. mickd

mickd New Member

Cheers for the correction John, it was a long time ago! How bizarre in the following paragraph you mention Jeff Christie. About 2 months ago I was at a friends BBQ and someone said "that chap over there was a pop star and had a hit with Yellow River". I assume it was the aforementioned Jeff Christie but I never got to speak to him.

21. olivert

olivert New Member

Favourite Bands:
    avail
    My mum went to see tonnes of cool bands back in the day.

The only way for me to get into places like the duchess when I was around 14 was to get my mum to take me. To her eternal credit she sat through some utter dross, but she also saw loads of awesome bands too which she really enjoyed, plus she took me to loads of gigs further afield......

Fair enough, it might not be the coolest thing to be at a gig with your mum, but as a 14 year old who just wanted to see his favourite punk bands, I couldnt give a ****. Best mum ever!!