1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Did your parents go to really fucking cool gigs?

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by blackfoxnorth, Sep 15, 2014.

1. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

Good morning peoples.

My mum watched Jimmy Hendrix at the Hippodrome in Birmingham. She said he had big thumbs.

How cool are your parents?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

My Auntie claims to this day that Hendrix slept on the sofa at my Grandma's house back when he played in either Leeds or Bradford in the 60s (quite a time before he was massive). No one else in the family believes here.

4. ohgee

ohgee New Member

My dad has long claimed he saw Hendrix in Ilkley. Seems unlikely (and he lies a lot), but maybe it was the same occasion?

5. wallum

wallum Member

Favourite Bands:
    Kate Bush
    Hendrix definitely did play Ilkley so it's quite possible that both these stories are true.

6. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Woah! Are you telling me that my dad MIGHT NOT BE LYING? This is a paradigm-shifting moment for me.

7. alfonse

alfonse Member

8. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

Yeah Hendrix did play Ilkley ... a bloke who I worked with went

My parents were into Slade and Rockabilly so they didn't really go to any cool gigs other than Slade but Shakin' Stevens did try and pull my Mam before he was famous

9. Daimo

Daimo Member

My dad told me that he once went to see Bowie and thought he was shit. I considered it to be blasphemy

10. AlexBlueSky

AlexBlueSky New Member

My dad saw Dire Straits in Bradford before their first album came out. 60 people in attendance allegedly.
    Then saw them a few weeks later and they'd blown up big.

I believe he also saw Bowie at St George's Hall during the Alladin Sane era. Not bad.

11. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

My dad was in his 'prime' (as he puts it) in the early 60s, and a lot of the big acts of the day used to play more local gigs such as Working Mens Clubs, Cinemas, etc

He'd often see the likes of Billy Fury, The Searchers, The Hollies, etc

He was more into rock n roll than anything, so didn't bother going to see the likes of The Beatles, Stones, The Who etc although they were quite easy to see back in the day.

He did see Hendrix on the tour where he supported The Walker Brothers, but only because it was raining and he didn't want his quiff ruined by the rain, so he called into the matinee gig.

Needless to say, me and the auld fella often have disagreements about the best music of the 60's....he was essentially a rocker and i'm a mod....although we do agree on Elvis and Johnny Cash.

12. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Growing up in the wilds of Lincolnshire during the late 80s/early 90s I used to gaze with envy at old listings/posters that showed the likes of Bowie, Hendrix, T-Rex etc deigned to play the likes of Boston or Stamford.

13. cuttlefish

cuttlefish New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Vessels, Calla, Valv
    My Mum and Dad went to see Bob Marley. He was supported by this young upcoming artist called Jimi Hendrix .

On a slight tangent, my Gran used to work with a young man called Bill Perks. My Granny asked Bill what he wanted to be when he grew up to which Bill said "well I've got this band going". Wisely, my granny told him "Bill, there's no money in that, you're wasting your time".

That young man is known to you and me as Bill Wyman :shock:

Gran said Jagger and co played for the company when they got famous but were "a bit too noisey really" and scrunched up her face at me.

I love my Gran, 92 years of legend right there!

14. arv

arv New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Nathaniel Rateliff
    My Dad saw Hendrix at Isle of Wight. I can't imagine it looking at my Dad now

15. ohgee

ohgee New Member

That's a bit weird as Marley wasn't a big draw himself outside Jamaica until after Hendrix died. He did play London a bit in the 60s, but it seems strange that Hendrix would be supporting him and not the other way around. Do you know when and where?

16. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    Mam and Dad went to watch The Smiths at Boro Town Hall. Apparently they started with How Soon Is Now? in complete darkness then the big mwwaaaaaoooowmm came in and it was solid gold til the end.

17. eggle

eggle Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fred The Oyster
  18. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Before I was born my parents lived in Israel and they saw Simon & Garfunkel in candlelight.

Just before that my dad saw Rolling Stones at Roundhay park.. not that cool I guess so did 100,000 other people.

My mum met Ozzy Osbourne and got his scarf, my dad later slung it into a charity bag.

By the time I was born they were going to see Neil Diamond tribute acts in Benidorm. For the first 13 or 14 years of my life I was convinced my first gig was Neil Diamond, I then found out what kind of place Benidorm is.

19. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

I don't think my parents saw any live music. But I don't need parents to have seen some massively cool gigs from yesteryear, cos I am old.

I have seen The Clash, Bowie, Sex Pistols, Chuck Berry, Lou Reed, Stranglers, The Who, The Sweet, The Cure, McCartney, Ramones, REM... some of these more than once. I could go on. I regret not seeing Pink Floyd. And Devo when they were good. Other than that I think I've got it covered.

20. bird

bird New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Elbow
    My Dad saw Led Zeppelin at The Royal Albert hall which I think was in 1970.

He claims that they played "Whola Lotta Love" live for the first time but I don't think that part is true. They would have already released II by that point i think.

21. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    What we've learned:

Lots of LMF parents seem to be quite flexible when it comes to not fibbing to their children.