1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Did you know it is now illegal to let your dog off the lead next to roads?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrTempleDene, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Re: Did you know it is now illegal to let your dog off the lead next to roa

I've got to admit, I didn't know about this regulation. Then again, I don't let my dog wander unattended as this silly woman seems to have done. I wonder how much the original fixed penalty was?

4. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I had no idea either although I guess for safety reasons most dog owners would keep them on leads near roads?

5. Derc

Derc New Member

Parts of the doomed golf courses at Middleton and Gotts Park would make useful dog areas. Leeds could lead with at least 1 Hark to Rover.

6. Carabansity

Carabansity New Member

I really am out of the news lately. Why are Middleton and Gotts Park doomed Derc? I thought they were both quite busy, I nearly ran three garishly clan gentlemen over on my way to Miggy tip last week and it looked busy.

7. alan at littlemoor

alan at littlemoor New Member

The two golf courses in question have been given a stay of execution for twelve months.,while the council evaluates the situation.

8. Derc

Derc New Member

As Alan mentioned, I think it's the thin edge of the wedge, pardon the pun, for these municipal courses. Affordable housing maybe the priority, I'm guessing.

9. Benggo

Benggo New Member

I wish there was a law like the law in Leeds where I live,idiots abound here,the only law here is not to let dogs foul the footpath and there is no one to apply the law with the result dog dirt everywhere.

10. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Gotts Park is supposed to be for leisure use

In the 1928 the building and grounds came under the ownership of the Wade’s charity. Wade’s Charity subsequently leased the Mansion and it’s grounds for 999 years to Leeds City Council. Part of the agreement was to see the grounds of the mansion remain a leisure space for the people of Leeds. Consequently on the 8th April 1933 Gotts Park Golf Club saw its first nine holes open to the public. Over the coming years it was developed by the then director of parks Thos. R. Trigg and Colin Robertson a prominent public gentleman into a 18 hole course and so it remains today.

11. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 quoted in the article is national legislation Benggo so it should apply to your area as well.

If your local council isn't enforcing it lobby them!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/part/6/chapter/1

12. Benggo

Benggo New Member

Thank you MrTempleDene.

13. Derc

Derc New Member

Hope you're right Bew, maybe just the golf will be putt out of bounds or privatised.
    'Leisure' is a bit ambiguous and is not purely 'a walk in the park', dragging a trolley or a dog.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  14. Derc

Derc New Member

15. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I walked over Gotts Park every day for 4 years on my way to school and never knew of those shelters.

16. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I watched a chap park his car and take his dogs onto the playing field to foul it.
    The council dog warden was not interested unless I'd taken a video of them doing it.

17. purdycat

purdycat New Member

I have a 14 month old dog called Merlin and I didn't know that this was illegal.
    Although I never let him off the lead next to any road there are plenty of dog owners in my area that do.
    There is a particularly nasty dog who lives in the same street as me and my dog - he has already attacked 3 dogs to my knowledge - now I know that this law exists if this dog comes anywhere near me or my dog I know that there is something I can do about it.:icon_eek:

18. Leedsgirl

Leedsgirl New Member

I have a Siamese cat who is trained to walk on Leads, on my street there is a particularly nasty dog that is just allowed to roam free without assistance. With it being dark I don't always know the dogs whereabouts so my cat is currently being deprived of his walks for his safety :(

Does anyone know if it's residential roads too? Or just main busy ones?

19. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

I'm not sure, but think it applies to all roads, residential or otherwise.

Found this, if it is any help ...

http://newsfeed.leedsvirtualnewsroom.co.uk/2013/01/leeds-woman-falls-foul-of-dog-roaming.html

20. Leedsgirl

Leedsgirl New Member

Thank you, I will make some phone calls and check it out, The dog is actually quite scary, I'm not keen on it so something needs to be done.

21. futurefjp

futurefjp New Member

This is a crazy over reaction by dog haters I am sure.

Most dogs off their leads next to roads are 'trusted' by their owners as they have been 'trained' to know the 'rules'. I don't think anyone who didn't trust their dog would let them off the lead at all in such circumstances.

What is wrong with drivers being extra careful with dogs about in the same way they would with unpredictable toddlers?

I don't understand who has got such a big issue with dogs in this nation of 'so-called' dog lovers?

I can't take my dog in pubs, hardly any cafes, very few public places(national trust, etc) and now my dog must remain on a lead on any road? Enough!

It's is time that big brother stopped watching what we did and chill out!