1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Cultural and historical vandalism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fastfreddy, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    'Paddy' is a pretty derogative term when used against someone who is Irish though.

But yeah, the bingo card is doing pretty well here.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

I forgot to mention that I'm a "Paddy" and wasn't offended in the slightest.

4. tome

tome Active Member

I'm a Plastic Paddy, the de facto term for second generation Irish.

5. jar ed

jar ed Member

You never know how people react to names. I could call a Scotsman I didn't know "Jock" and get a friendly response or on the other hand I could get my lights punched out. Same with Taffy. I'm a Tyke by birth and proud of it but with Scots-Irish blood mixed in also.

I've been called a Limey by Yanks. I take that in the way it was meant to be used, either friendly or derogatory. Most times it was friendly although a Mexican-American big mouth used it in a derogatory way to which I called him a friggin' Beaner and we got into fisticuffs. Very few Americans except the old geezers call British people Limeys any more. These days it's "Brits"

I once made the mistake of calling an American acquaintance a "Yank" which really pissed him off. "I'm not a Yank... I'm from Georgia" he yelled

6. tome

tome Active Member

I got called a 'tea sip' by a Texan. I didn't quite grasp it at first until someone explained it to me. It was said in the context of an insult, and there goes the root of the semantics regarding these appellations. It's all about the context, which can range from a term of endearment to a threatening insult.

7. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

Iam Irish and Paddy doesnt really bother me at all. I have lots of Frog friends as well. I spend a lot of time in France and the term Frog while I wouldnt use the phrase myself I am sure would not bother them in the same way that Limey or Brit or whatever is really not of any consequence. The only people that do seem to have a pretend issue with this is for the sake of trolling the thread are Gary and Marc. Thats interesting in itself because .....yes it was the same two plus one other that ruined the book lovers thread.

In all honesty this kind of childish behaviour is the reason why this forum will close for lack of people posting. It really isn't the kind of forum where people go for trolling or for argument etc. there are other forums that are far far better at that if that's what you want so why don't you just leave this forum or just keep to your Leeds Music forum where you appear to be more comfortable and allow the staus quo (no pun intended) to return.

I might suggest as I have already what doesn't one of you start a thread about steroptypical names for nationalities etc it seems to be of such huge concern you can all post there and troll each other. Why do you keep posting here if you are all so offended. The answer clearly is as I have alluded. Its simply because you want to harm the thread and the discussion, have a go at people like me an JBR and simply behave like Trolls. Any rational person looking at this situation would come to this conclusion.

This thread is as I have tried to remind you is about ISIS and the SITUATION IN THE F'in MIDDLE EAST.

JBR* likes this.
  8. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Sums it up really.

"I use the N word all the time. Don't see what the problem is. Wouldn't say it to a black guys face though"

9. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

No you dont. and it sumes nothing up you massive child. Stop trying to make silly stupid points that would be more at home in the sixth form.

For you benefit I have started two new thread for you and your friends. Post there please.

As I said I do have lots of friends in France. So much so I am thinking of moving there when I retire. Most people in France do not appear to be as small minded as you. And actually the N word I do beleive to be a racist word with serious undertones so if you do use that all of the time you should be extremely ashamed of yourself.

This is the last time I will reply. Period to you or Gary. In my opinion you don't deserve the time of day never mind a rational response. Ijust wish you would find another way of amusing yourselves. Perhaps you might care to use the threads I have started for you. Good bye.

10. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

lol Marc and Gary are going on the ignore list.

11. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I actually got a notification he is now following me. Must have pressed the wrong button in a rage.

This thread sucks and it's only going to get worse. It's going round in circles. I'm locking it. And I'm deleting the other two stupid ones started by ol' freddy cos they're absolutely pointless and childish.

You don't get to tell people what to discuss and where to do it.

Mexico75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.